Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]
Off topic: Have you ever seen a translation so bad it made you cringe?
Thread poster: Didi18
P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:46
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
How about that ... Nov 28, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

"Picha" is a village located in Pedrógão Grande, Leiria district. I didn't know it!!

https://en.bab.la/dictionary/portuguese-english/picha

In the Piedmontese dialect (Northern Italy), piciu (read as pichu) means exactly the same thing, while the feminine picia is a a much ruder word meaning prostitute.

[Edited at 2020-11-28 14:25 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino
Didi18

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 20:46
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Languages are amazing Nov 28, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

"Picha" is a village located in Pedrógão Grande, Leiria district. I didn't know it!!

https://en.bab.la/dictionary/portuguese-english/picha

In the Piedmontese dialect (Northern Italy), piciu (read as pichu) means exactly the same thing, while the feminine picia is a a much ruder word meaning prostitute.

[Edited at 2020-11-28 14:25 GMT]

It's amazing to see their similarities!

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Didi18

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I hope not an Italian restaurant Nov 28, 2020

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

sadly, it's closed now...

Pom&Pino

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Tom in London
Didi18
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A good example of language similarities: Nov 29, 2020

Didi18
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
writeaway
Kay Denney

Didi18
Didi18
United States
Local time: 12:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Picha, piciu, picia, et all: In some Spanish-speaking countries, pichi (pronounced pitchi) means #1 Nov 29, 2020

In some Spanish-speaking countries, "pichi" (pronounced pitchi in English or pici in Italian) means bodily function number 1.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I can be zapped for this... Nov 30, 2020

Didi18 wrote:

In some Spanish-speaking countries, "pichi" (pronounced pitchi in English or pici in Italian) means bodily function number 1.

...and "piça" in EU Portuguese in the sense of "picha".

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Didi18

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Abuse Dec 10, 2020

While translating a user manual, I came across this:
"Do not abuse the Power Cord."
Please do not be violent to the poor power cord. Do not use physical or verbal maltreatment against it, especially when it's not working properly!
Power cords can be very touchy.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Didi18
JH Trads

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:46
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
revolting error Dec 19, 2020

I just saw a movie where folks were singing in a Spanish-speaking country a revolutionary song, along the lines of "El pueblo, unido, jamás será vencido", where 'pueblo' means the people, the masses, the population rising up in a revolution, etc., but the subtitle read:

"The village, united, ..." Ouch! 'Village' is one of the several meanings of the word 'pueblo', but definitely not the right one here!

Didi18
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:46
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
All the time. Dec 20, 2020

Last year I received a review assignement for a technical project on safety measures when working with a certain machine. Nothing too complicated, really.

So I open the file and my eyes start bleeding as the translator managed to:
- translate "pinch point" as "connection point". Seriously, even if you don't work with technical stuff, just Google Image "pinch point" and ask yourself "could that yellow warning mean connection?". If your answer is yes, your parents were cousins.<
... See more
Last year I received a review assignement for a technical project on safety measures when working with a certain machine. Nothing too complicated, really.

So I open the file and my eyes start bleeding as the translator managed to:
- translate "pinch point" as "connection point". Seriously, even if you don't work with technical stuff, just Google Image "pinch point" and ask yourself "could that yellow warning mean connection?". If your answer is yes, your parents were cousins.
- translate "e-stop" as "electronic stop". Oh, yes, that's certainly a stop you use from the Internet in case you forget your Facebook page open and your better half comes home early and starts reading all your dirty stuff with other people. Right?

And a bunch of other disgrafecul mistranslations.

So I fixed everything. Wrote a long message to the PM explaining that this was serious - just imagine if this is printed, a worker places his hand in a pinch point and loses his fingers?

I could bet my house that absolutely nothing happened in terms of penalties. Hey, after all, the reviewer should fix everything, even if it Google translate level or, worse, this level. Am I right?

Later on I found out who translated that piece of crap - her name is P.B. and she has 48 (effing forty eight) reviews here on ProZ. Yup.

*Eloquent silence*
Collapse

Tom in London
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

WS McCallum
WS McCallum
New Zealand
Local time: 07:46
French to English
B&B sign Dec 21, 2020

There have been many over the years, but the one that really stands out was the sign in a B&B in Ticino, run by a nice old couple. The sign up inside the door of my room stating the house rules, fire safety procedures etc. was in four languages (Italian, French, German, and English), and there were mistakes in all four texts.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Dec 21, 2020

Felipe Lacerda wrote:

Hey, after all, the reviewer should fix everything, even if it Google translate level or, worse, this level. Am I right?

Hmm you've just reminded me of one of the worst translations I've ever seen.
It was the first week of the year, you know, when the good translators finally get back to work after some well-earned partying over party season.
During my absence (due to being a good translator who had partied during party season), the PM on duty had had to scrape the barrel rather a lot looking for available translators.
One client was furious and accused her of using GT. They had a in-house native English speaker re-do the translation even though it wasn't their department at all. So the PM asked me to look at the work and find a way to prove that it wasn't GT but a human.

It was the simplest of letters, along the lines of "please find enclosed our new catalogue brimming with exciting new ways of wasting the money that you no longer have because you spent it partying". Yet the translator had done a truly shoddy job. I told the PM that it was abundantly clear that it was a human, simply because, for all its faults, GT doesn't make that many spelling mistakes.

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Felipe Lacerda

JH Trads
United States
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
¡Qué mole tan maravilloso! Dec 28, 2020

'Mole' (masculine noun) is a Mexican food, but in this movie, where a couple was commenting on the food, the subtitle for

¡Qué mole tan maravilloso!

was:

'What a wonderful morning!'

I had to rewind and double-check I had read 'correctly', I could not believe it.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

JH Trads
United States
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Keep Good Records and Save Your Receipts Jan 10, 2021

Keep good records and save your receipts > Tenga buenos antecedentes y ahorre con sus comprobantes

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 14:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Oh, but of course Jan 11, 2021

Just looked at the sentence of my own yesterday's creation. At the moment, I'm desperately trying to figure out who broke into my place the night before, and what exactly did h/s slip in my morning coffee.

P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you ever seen a translation so bad it made you cringe?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »