Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Do you obey your spell-checker software?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:20
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jul 30, 2020

Perhaps you know the issue. I use Word as spell-checker, but there are some expressions where the software marks a word as wrong though it is perfectly right. In such a case one might feel the obligation of choosing another expression to make the software "satisfied". Or one might think that the customer would think you have not proofread your translation properly.
Does that sound silly?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not so much in my native language Jul 30, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
In such a case one might feel the obligation of choosing another expression to make the software "satisfied".

I eagerly ignore any complaints from my spell-checker in my native language, unless it is clearly a typo, but when my second-language spell-checker complaints, I'm more willing to doubt myself and either accept the suggested change, change the words so that the issue no longer exists, or double-check a dictionary.

On a similar note, when I write e-mails and I find that there is too much of a space at the end if a line, I change the wording so that the block of text looks more pleasant. This is illogical, of course, because it depends not only on the width of the window I'm working on but also on the width of the window of the reader reading it.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:20
Member (2008)
Italian to English
One really annoying thing about the spellchecker in Word... Jul 30, 2020

...when I set it to British English, is that it thinks "program" is a word.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Generally Jul 30, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

That’s because it is...

I switched from ize to ise to keep Word happy many years ago

Otherwise the English ones are almost always right

But I never use the grammar checker

Kay Denney
Philip Lees
Christine Andersen

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
All machine QA produces a lot of false alarms Jul 30, 2020

The Word spell checker is quite good but even it delivers a lot of false alarms and it makes no sense to change a text just so that the false alarms go away. Other spell checkers are often far worse and produce enormous amounts of false alarms, so that I have stopped taking these spell checkers seriously at all. German has more complex grammar than English and allows you to invent new compounds on the spot, and automatic spell checkers simply cannot keep up with that.

Arkadiusz Jasiński
Thomas T. Frost
Philippe Etienne
expressisverbis

Giuliana Maltempo
Giuliana Maltempo
Argentina
Local time: 04:20
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
False negatives/False positives Jul 30, 2020

Well, spell-check software are basically designed to compare strings of characters with a fixed set of "correct structures" and "correct spellings". If the string in question fits any of these rules, then it is marked as correct; if not, it is marked as incorrect.

However, the rules the program "knows" cannot in any way contemplate all possible words and phrases that could be acceptable in every dialect of a language - natural languages are flexible. Then, spell-checkers usually hig
... See more
Well, spell-check software are basically designed to compare strings of characters with a fixed set of "correct structures" and "correct spellings". If the string in question fits any of these rules, then it is marked as correct; if not, it is marked as incorrect.

However, the rules the program "knows" cannot in any way contemplate all possible words and phrases that could be acceptable in every dialect of a language - natural languages are flexible. Then, spell-checkers usually highlight neologisms, derived words, and non-standard forms, and the like. These can easily be explained to the customer as "false negatives", if necessary.

By the way, it is equally possible to find a mistake in a text which the spell-checker marked as correct (that is, a "false positive").
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Marie-Theres Wieme
expressisverbis
Tina Vonhof (X)
Christine Andersen

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
No Jul 30, 2020

I "Add to dictionary"
Removing fish bones is called désarêtage, as I learned today from the web. One more in the custom dictionary.
Word spell checks help me spot typos, while grammar checks detect the odd wrong agreement/number. Even if corrections suggested are wrong, it may help me check agreements/number with bizarre associations like feminine "et" masculine + adjective for both.

Philippe

[Edited at 2020-07-30 12:35 GMT]

Philip Lees

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Verb Jul 30, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

I thought that even in the UK, you can 'program' your computer to run on Linux.

Philip Lees
Christopher Schröder
Christine Andersen

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
NOt in Brit Jul 30, 2020

Chris S wrote:

That’s because it is...

Not in British English. In British English the word is "programme". You may not like that spelling any more than I do, and I am a big fan of Webster's simplification of English; nevertheless in British English, regardless of anyone's personal predilections, the word is "programme".

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I rely on my spell-checker, but I trust myself more. Jul 30, 2020

Although a spell checker is a handy tool for general use, I trust myself more.
Since the new Portuguese Language Orthographic Agreement of 1990 was adopted, I sometimes need to switch from the new agreement to the old one and vice-versa.
In this case the spell checker can be useful, but I rely more on my skills, and knowledge of my native language.
In addition, I always use other resources too, such as dictionaries, grammars, and thesauri, style guides (I have my own), other on
... See more
Although a spell checker is a handy tool for general use, I trust myself more.
Since the new Portuguese Language Orthographic Agreement of 1990 was adopted, I sometimes need to switch from the new agreement to the old one and vice-versa.
In this case the spell checker can be useful, but I rely more on my skills, and knowledge of my native language.
In addition, I always use other resources too, such as dictionaries, grammars, and thesauri, style guides (I have my own), other online spelling checkers, etc.
All these tools can be extremely helpful (paper or online formats), but there are no better "spelling checkers" than us.
No, I do not obey it or rely on it heavily.
Collapse

Giuliana Maltempo
Tina Vonhof (X)
Christel Zipfel
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Christine Andersen

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 01:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
Final check Jul 30, 2020

My spellchecker is based on US English, so I ignore it in cases where Canadian English is different. It is also very picky about 'missing' hyphens when in fact that word has long since been accepted as one word. The grammar check can be useful occasionally, but most of the time I turn it off because I find it distracting.

I always do a final check with PerfectIt. In addition to its general features that you can choose from, it has style sheets for every version of English plus speci
... See more
My spellchecker is based on US English, so I ignore it in cases where Canadian English is different. It is also very picky about 'missing' hyphens when in fact that word has long since been accepted as one word. The grammar check can be useful occasionally, but most of the time I turn it off because I find it distracting.

I always do a final check with PerfectIt. In addition to its general features that you can choose from, it has style sheets for every version of English plus special ones, such as European Union, United Nations, WHO, etc. It really does 'perfect' your final text.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Tomme Jul 30, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
in British English, regardless of anyone's personal predilections, the word is "programme".

Apart from when the word is program.

In British English, when it comes to computer software, regardless of anyone’s personal predilections, the word is “program”.

Thomas T. Frost
Philip Lees
Jo Macdonald
Joe France
Jessica Noyes

Vi Pukite
Vi Pukite  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:20
Latvian to English
+ ...
Both right, both wrong? Jul 30, 2020

@Tom, @Chris

According to the Oxford Dictionary, 'programme' is UK and 'program' is US for all senses of the word except that for the software sense both are acceptable for UK English (see https://www.lexico.com/definition/programme).

Jo Macdonald

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 09:20
Greek to English
Established Jul 31, 2020

Chris S wrote:

In British English, when it comes to computer software, regardless of anyone’s personal predilections, the word is “program”.

This is not some neologism either. That spelling in the UK has been around at least since the late 1960s, when I first got my hands on a computer.

Christopher Schröder
Jessica Noyes

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I distinguish between IT and other programmes Jul 31, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

The Concise Oxford Dictionary does not seem to recognise program, and the Advanced Learner's says it is AmE.
However, according to the Longman Guide to English Usage, program is used in the context of computers in British English, and I make the distinction.

I started using -ise in my late teens, I think, under the influence of a beloved and very wise English teacher. She may have been influenced by Sir Ernest Gowers: The Complete Plain Words, and I certainly have (Page 70 in the version revised by his granddaughter Rebecca Gowers).

I keep an eye on the spelling checker, but certainly do not always follow it.
Apart from finding false errors, it does not catch some of my most frequent typing errors - form instead of from, or occasionally the other way round, if or of in the wrong (wring) places, ad a missing letter when I mean and ...

In Danish, composite nouns are formed - similar to schoolteacher, roadway, and so on, but far more frequently than in English. The composite noun may have a very different meaning from the two words when separated. The spell-checker suggests splitting them up in many cases where it is incorrect.

There are other problems too - and I resist reformulating to pacify the spelling checker. If clients ask, I tell them that is the difference between a human translator who understands the text and a machine that oversimplifies the rules.

Giuliana Maltempo
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you obey your spell-checker software?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »