Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
For future reference what are your rates?
Thread poster: Rafa Alba
Rafa Alba
Rafa Alba
Spain
Local time: 10:24
English to Spanish
Feb 23, 2021

I had this problem as a language teacher and now as a translator. Sometimes people ask for your rates at times when I think is out of context.

I have two problems with this question:

1. I am still a beginner translator and have not clearly figured out what are my rates.
2. It seems like answering that question reduces the value of my service.

What do you recommend?

Francisco Vare
Francisco Vare
Poland
Polish to Spanish
+ ...
Let's meet! Feb 24, 2021

Hola, Rafael!

When I get asked this question and the context is not appropriate, I always invite the person to meet in private so we can talk about the topic.

I also teach and translate, and my approach is exactly the same in both cases.

I am known in my neighbourhood and many mums tend to ask me "Can you teach my son?" when I'm doing the shopping.

My answer is always the same: "Let's meet and we'll see what can be done."

Hope this
... See more
Hola, Rafael!

When I get asked this question and the context is not appropriate, I always invite the person to meet in private so we can talk about the topic.

I also teach and translate, and my approach is exactly the same in both cases.

I am known in my neighbourhood and many mums tend to ask me "Can you teach my son?" when I'm doing the shopping.

My answer is always the same: "Let's meet and we'll see what can be done."

Hope this helps!

Francisco J. Vare
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:24
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Rafael Feb 24, 2021

In order to help you and answer your questions could you please elaborate a bit more on this? Why asking for your rates is at times out of context? Why saying what your rates are reduces the value of your service?

Morano El-Kholy
Esther Dodo
Emanuele Vacca
Fatine Echenique

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
What are you waiting for? Feb 24, 2021

Rafael Alvarez wrote:

I am still a beginner translator and have not clearly figured out what are my rates.

Being a beginner isn't really an excuse for not knowing what you should be charging. It's a problem if you think about it! When are you going to establish your rates? What will you do next time someone asks you for them? What's stopping you setting your rates?

Rafael Alvarez wrote:

It seems like answering that question reduces the value of my service.

It only reduces the value of your service if you let it. We charge for our services because we need to, but also because we want to pursue a career that we enjoy, and be paid what we feel we deserve to be paid. Answering this question actually boosts the value of your service, but you need to show clients that you know what your worth is, and communicate that effectively.

Rafael Alvarez wrote:

What do you recommend?

It seems to me that you don't know what your own services are worth. There are lots of resources out there to help you work out what to charge.
Here's just one from Tess Whitty.
https://marketingtipsfortranslators.com/set-freelance-translation-rates/

Or another thread here on Proz:
https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/332744-how_much_should_i_charge_as_a_freelance_translator_starting_out.html

It can be daunting and uncomfortable to set our rates. But no-one can do it except us. Best of luck!

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Say 'it depends' Feb 24, 2021

Rafael Alvarez wrote:

I had this problem as a language teacher and now as a translator. Sometimes people ask for your rates at times when I think is out of context.

1. I am still a beginner translator and have not clearly figured out what are my rates.

What do you recommend?

You could tell them that what you charge depends on various factors including the complexity of the job (for example) so you would need to have the document/know more about the assignment before you can produce a quotation. Lots of translators have something to this effect on their websites.

It might help if you tell us a bit more about the out of context situations in which people ask for your rates.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Sarah Maidstone
Ottavia Merlin
Andy Watkinson
Christine Andersen

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Rafael Feb 24, 2021

Rafael Alvarez wrote:

Just tell people that you work mainly for large businesses, and that you charge them EUR 0.15 per word. That will shut most people up.

Jorge Payan

Mohamad Alayoubi
Mohamad Alayoubi
Lebanon
Local time: 11:24
English to Arabic
You can set for yourself a standard rate Feb 24, 2021

You can set a standard rate for yourself depending on your language pair and the amount of work that's available , sometimes you need a rate lower than average to be able to compete with experienced translators , but you can ask to see the target document and raise your standard rate if you feel the document is a bit harder than normal , that's how i do it personally .
Good luck

3089491 (X)
3089491 (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Looks like mocking Feb 24, 2021

But one needs indeed be careful of the rates he/she mentions publicly. It is very difficult to change that.

It's best to first decide what range you want to be in. And first, figure out why people choose to place themselves in a certain range.

If you place yourself in a range that is superior to your current abilities, a lot of hard work will need to be carried out in the first years. It will look like hell. But the money, well, will be good.

Forget about M
... See more
But one needs indeed be careful of the rates he/she mentions publicly. It is very difficult to change that.

It's best to first decide what range you want to be in. And first, figure out why people choose to place themselves in a certain range.

If you place yourself in a range that is superior to your current abilities, a lot of hard work will need to be carried out in the first years. It will look like hell. But the money, well, will be good.

Forget about MT.
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@ Rafael Feb 24, 2021

Rafael Alvarez wrote:

What do you recommend?

With all due respect, yes you do have a problem, but not the one(s) you mention. Your problem is being insecure because you are a starter. Does that mean you are a bad translator? If you think so, end of story and career, find something else. If not, go for it! Nobody has to know you are just a beginner, sell yourself, establish a price, contact potential clients, let the ship sail and see where it is going, and if you sail right, you will get there.

Entrepreneurship is daring taking risks. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but do it with the right spirit.

About your rates, see the post of Mihai, especially his first sentence (Proz has somewhere a pricelist I believe).

The first steps are the hardest, but you have to take them.

That is my advice.

Good luck

[Edited at 2021-02-24 23:38 GMT]

Daryo
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
On the contrary Feb 25, 2021

Rafael Alvarez wrote:

You've been given valuable advice which I hope helps you see things differently about 'reducing the value'. You are a business and you're not just translating for the love of translating. You've got to earn your bread and butter. Setting your rates also means you are a professional who knows his business. and both agencies and clients expect this so both sides know where they are. It's really best to clear before taking on a job about deadlines, what the job involves and how it is to be delivered, what costs how much, when and how you're going to be paid, etc. and your rates are part and parcel of these. If you're not clear before, you tend to run into all sorts of problems after you start the job and it will be more difficult then.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Rafael, are you there? Feb 25, 2021

Hope this isn't yet another case of 'person starts thread and then disappears'.

There's one thing I am not getting though. In here you are describing yourself as a beginner, but in your profile page you've indicated an 11-year experience and specialities in 10 different subject areas. I could not access the .pdf with your cv, though.

Is the experience information only covering your teaching career, perhaps? As otherwise, I cannot fathom how you've been handling the fee
... See more
Hope this isn't yet another case of 'person starts thread and then disappears'.

There's one thing I am not getting though. In here you are describing yourself as a beginner, but in your profile page you've indicated an 11-year experience and specialities in 10 different subject areas. I could not access the .pdf with your cv, though.

Is the experience information only covering your teaching career, perhaps? As otherwise, I cannot fathom how you've been handling the fee side of things until now.

If you are there somewhere, we'd like some interaction. Thanks.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Barbara Feb 25, 2021

Barbara Carrara wrote:

I could not access the .pdf with your cv, though.

I couldn't access the CV either and regarding the @195Tweets it says "This account doesn’t exist"...

Barbara Carrara

Rafa Alba
Rafa Alba
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 4, 2021

I have carefully read through all your answers and have been studying carefully what are the market rates and how people charge, and I think I know have a much better idea about how the market works, what I can charge and how to go about the rates.

I still have problems interacting with Proz, I don't like the interface overwhelming you with information, that's one of the reasons for my late answer. Having said that, I am surprised at all the responses, and I kind of feel embraced, i
... See more
I have carefully read through all your answers and have been studying carefully what are the market rates and how people charge, and I think I know have a much better idea about how the market works, what I can charge and how to go about the rates.

I still have problems interacting with Proz, I don't like the interface overwhelming you with information, that's one of the reasons for my late answer. Having said that, I am surprised at all the responses, and I kind of feel embraced, it really seems like people are putting a real effort to help.

Also, I am aware I need to update my profile. That will be my next with Proz.

Thanks everybody!
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Rachel Waddington
Fatine Echenique

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
¡Bienvenido Rafael! Mar 6, 2021

You are certainly most welcome.
Step by step, all the information will sink in in due time.
Best of luck.
Bea

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:24
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
So Mar 7, 2021

Francisco Vare wrote:

Hola, Rafael!

Francisco J. Vare

Were you saying when people asked your rates, your reply is always "Let's meet?"

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

For future reference what are your rates?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »