Can an Agency ask you for your private tax documents
Thread poster: Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:54
French to English
Feb 7, 2021

I live in Italy and used to work for a French agency who are now undergoing a tax inspection. They asked me first to send them a document proving that I worked in Italy so I send my social contributions document, then they asked for my Italian tax declarations which I sent and now they want a tax residence certificate which here in Italy costs time and money to obtain. This is really beginning to irritate me, first because I work with a European VAT number so anyone can immediately check where I... See more
I live in Italy and used to work for a French agency who are now undergoing a tax inspection. They asked me first to send them a document proving that I worked in Italy so I send my social contributions document, then they asked for my Italian tax declarations which I sent and now they want a tax residence certificate which here in Italy costs time and money to obtain. This is really beginning to irritate me, first because I work with a European VAT number so anyone can immediately check where I live and basically that is all they should need to know - no one can have two Euro VAT numbers. I am not undergoing a tax inspection via this agency and if they can ask me for all my private documents surely I can also ask any other European company to provide theirs. Any thoughts?Collapse

Yaotl Altan

Alessandra Chiappini
Alessandra Chiappini  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
I experienced the same with a Frenc agency Feb 7, 2021

Hi Nicholas,
I experienced the same. I live in Italy and pay taxes in Italy.

After sending them different docs (tax declarations of different years), which they refused, I got a facsimile from them. It was an Italian F24. Normally in a year I settle the amount of different F24 but I have sent them one doc only, with personal details cancelled.
For them it was finally ok.

Hope it can help.

Kind regards,
Alessandra

Yaotl Altan

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply Feb 7, 2021

Thanks Alessandra and I will do what you suggest although the full tax declaration that I already sent was far more extensive than an F24. However there is another issue here. If I employ a freelancer with a EuroVAT number and pay them in their home country can the tax authorities demand 4-5 years later that I chase that person up for his/her tax declarations? This must surely be illegal and in this case suggests that the French Authorities are making it more troublesome for French companies to ... See more
Thanks Alessandra and I will do what you suggest although the full tax declaration that I already sent was far more extensive than an F24. However there is another issue here. If I employ a freelancer with a EuroVAT number and pay them in their home country can the tax authorities demand 4-5 years later that I chase that person up for his/her tax declarations? This must surely be illegal and in this case suggests that the French Authorities are making it more troublesome for French companies to employ other EU nationals.Collapse

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Tax residence certificate Feb 7, 2021

Hi Nicholas,

I had a similar experience with a Portuguese agency. They said it was to avoid double taxation. To be honest, I don't understand much about this sort of thing, but I asked my local Agenzia delle Entrate and they said this is perfectly normal, because some EU countries have agreements about double taxation in place.

However, the difference in my case was that the agency only asked for a tax residence certificate. It was actually much less cumbersome than I
... See more
Hi Nicholas,

I had a similar experience with a Portuguese agency. They said it was to avoid double taxation. To be honest, I don't understand much about this sort of thing, but I asked my local Agenzia delle Entrate and they said this is perfectly normal, because some EU countries have agreements about double taxation in place.

However, the difference in my case was that the agency only asked for a tax residence certificate. It was actually much less cumbersome than I would have thought. Of course, I had to spend a couple of hours at my local Agenzia delle Entrate as there were so many people in line, but it was actually rather simple. The agency had sent me a form, so I simply filled it in, added a marca da bollo (I think it was just €3 or something), and went to the Agenzia delle Entrate after a week to collect the signed form.

I'm not sure about the tax declarations, though. It doesn't sound right to me, but as I said, I'm far from an expert in the matter. You might want to go to your local Agenzia delle Entrate - I spoke to a very kind employee who was happy to help.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can an Agency ask you for your private tax documents

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »