Torgeir Andvig
Torgeir Andvig  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 23:05
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jul 2, 2020

Hey,

My wife who's a spanish translator (latin american), worked for a french client who now refuses to pay her back the full amount and claims they had to "revise" 60% - 70% of her translation.
They conveniently refused to pay her and brought these complaints to her attention 3 days after the payment was due (60 day payment policy).
I've seen these tactics myself from clients I've worked with in India, and I know they're full of it. Also, she has 12 years experience and
... See more
Hey,

My wife who's a spanish translator (latin american), worked for a french client who now refuses to pay her back the full amount and claims they had to "revise" 60% - 70% of her translation.
They conveniently refused to pay her and brought these complaints to her attention 3 days after the payment was due (60 day payment policy).
I've seen these tactics myself from clients I've worked with in India, and I know they're full of it. Also, she has 12 years experience and a BA degree and I know she would never f*** up to such a degree that would justify this.

I would appreciate any experience or advices any of you can share, that might help us with this.

P.S.

This is my first time using this forum, so if there is a better Topic Category for the subject, please inform me.
And if this is not suitable or I made any other errors, then I do sincerely apologize for that.
Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:05
German to English
+ ...
Ask for their 'revised' version Jul 3, 2020

and then your wife can compare and see if their claim is in any way justified.

That'd be a starting point.

Good luck!
c

Philippe Etienne
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Content deleted by poster.
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Risk management Jul 3, 2020

First, PO/contract?

Second, who initiated the deal?

Third, even at $0.15/word flat (no 'discounts'), it's about at least 20,000 words: Why neither installments nor intermediate QA/QC/revision?

Fourth, the translator owns the rights for the translation (unless explicitly waived), so the non-payment issue provokes the copyright infringement claim too.

No matter a private person or a legal entity/BlueBoard--just contact a practicing lawyer.
... See more
First, PO/contract?

Second, who initiated the deal?

Third, even at $0.15/word flat (no 'discounts'), it's about at least 20,000 words: Why neither installments nor intermediate QA/QC/revision?

Fourth, the translator owns the rights for the translation (unless explicitly waived), so the non-payment issue provokes the copyright infringement claim too.

No matter a private person or a legal entity/BlueBoard--just contact a practicing lawyer.

While some lex and style issues are ok, normally it cannot be 60%+, let alone without payment.

[Edited at 2020-07-04 07:25 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[French > Spanish] Help, client owes 3 000 EUR

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »