Payment information: Does the client need my date of birth&year?
Thread poster: Minji Choi
Minji Choi
Minji Choi
South Korea
Local time: 15:48
English to Korean
May 2, 2020

Hello.

I've worked with a new client recently and am waiting for the payment.
The client asked my date of birth&year for bank transfer.

I'm just wondering if this information is usually required for bank transfer.
(It's international bank transfer)

Thank you.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 07:48
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
No it is not. May 2, 2020

It sounds very fishy. Who is your client, do they have some online history you can check? Sounds like a scammer.

[Edited at 2020-05-02 07:33 GMT]

Angie Garbarino

Minji Choi
Minji Choi
South Korea
Local time: 15:48
English to Korean
TOPIC STARTER
To Lingua 5B May 2, 2020

Thank you, Lingua 5B.

I've checked the client on Blueboard.
They're a real company with a poor score.

I asked why they need my year of birth, and the manager is not answering yet.
I'll update if any answer is received.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 07:48
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Doesn't make any sense in relation to wire transfer. May 2, 2020

Minji Choi wrote:

Thank you, Lingua 5B.

Doesn't make any sense in relation to wire transfer. So they have a poor score, it does match how they appear to me. How much time are they overdue with payment? I suggest you not to provide the date of birth and possibly, if you can, contact your bank and ask them if this detail is required in any way for bank transfer, and that you are not sure about client's intentions.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Date of birth is sometimes requires, yes May 2, 2020

Minji Choi wrote:
The client asked my date of birth ... for bank transfer. I'm just wondering if this information is usually required for bank transfer.

I think it depends on the bank. You'll find many people here on the forums telling you that it's fishy or that it's clearly a scam or that it is never required etc., etc., but if you google a bit, you'll find that the date or birth is sometimes required.

For example, this bank from the UK requires the recipient's date of birth. The same goes for this bank in Canada. On the other hand, Western Union requires a date of birth only if the recipient is in Brazil.

Would it be possible to find out what bank your client is using, so that you can phone the bank and ask them? Also, remember that what information a bank *usually* requires may be different from what a bank is allowed to require (e.g. when they're more concerned than usual about fraud).

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
My experience May 2, 2020

I have had this happen to me twice over the past year or so...in both cases with longtime, reliable clients who suddenly asked me for this information after years of working together, saying it was a requirement from their banks to make the transfer.

The first time, I resisted and questioned the need for this and said I would like more information about this new requirement. They did not respond to me and instead sent the payment without further discussion or comment.

T
... See more
I have had this happen to me twice over the past year or so...in both cases with longtime, reliable clients who suddenly asked me for this information after years of working together, saying it was a requirement from their banks to make the transfer.

The first time, I resisted and questioned the need for this and said I would like more information about this new requirement. They did not respond to me and instead sent the payment without further discussion or comment.

The second time, the client told me he absolutely could not make the payment without providing this information to the bank.

I checked with my own bank, and they said that some banks do ask for this information for extra security.

I was very uncomfortable with this and would not do it with a new client, especially if they have a poor BB rating.

The two clients I had this experience with are reputable companies with good ratings, but it still made me uncomfortable.

The company you are working with is not necessarily a scammer. But I would proceed very carefully and push back as much as possible to discern whether this is an actual requirement to make the transfer. Also, who wants the information...is it the client or the bank itself? If it is the client, then there is absolutely no reason to surrender this information. But if it is the bank, then you may wish to explore alternatives...like can the client use another bank or pay you through a different means? Can the bank waive the requirement in certain cases? Can you speak to the bank for more information? What if you refuse to provide the information?

These are a few things to take into consideration.
Collapse

Mina Chen

Minji Choi
Minji Choi
South Korea
Local time: 15:49
English to Korean
TOPIC STARTER
To Lingua 5B May 2, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:

Minji Choi wrote:

Thank you, Lingua 5B.

Doesn't make any sense in relation to wire transfer. So they have a poor score, it does match how they appear to me. How much time are they overdue with payment? I suggest you not to provide the date of birth and possibly, if you can, contact your bank and ask them if this detail is required in any way for bank transfer, and that you are not sure about client's intentions.

Thank you, Lingua 5B. I'll check carefully before providing them with my information.
I'll update the result!

Minji Choi
Minji Choi
South Korea
English to Korean
TOPIC STARTER
To Samuel Murray May 2, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Minji Choi wrote:
The client asked my date of birth ... for bank transfer. I'm just wondering if this information is usually required for bank transfer.

I think it depends on the bank. You'll find many people here on the forums telling you that it's fishy or that it's clearly a scam or that it is never required etc., etc., but if you google a bit, you'll find that the date or birth is sometimes required.

For example, this bank from the UK requires the recipient's date of birth. The same goes for this bank in Canada. On the other hand, Western Union requires a date of birth only if the recipient is in Brazil.

Would it be possible to find out what bank your client is using, so that you can phone the bank and ask them? Also, remember that what information a bank *usually* requires may be different from what a bank is allowed to require (e.g. when they're more concerned than usual about fraud).

I appreciate your kind explanation. It was very helpful. I'll check carefully and update the result!

Minji Choi
Minji Choi
South Korea
English to Korean
TOPIC STARTER
To Arabic & More May 2, 2020

Arabic & More wrote:

The second time, the client told me he absolutely could not make the payment without providing this information to the bank.

I checked with my own bank, and they said that some banks do ask for this information for extra security.

I was very uncomfortable with this and would not do it with a new client, especially if they have a poor BB rating.

The two clients I had this experience with are reputable companies with good ratings, but it still made me uncomfortable.

The company you are working with is not necessarily a scammer. But I would proceed very carefully and push back as much as possible to discern whether this is an actual requirement to make the transfer. Also, who wants the information...is it the client or the bank itself? If it is the client, then there is absolutely no reason to surrender this information. But if it is the bank, then you may wish to explore alternatives...like can the client use another bank or pay you through a different means? Can the bank waive the requirement in certain cases? Can you speak to the bank for more information? What if you refuse to provide the information?

These are a few things to take into consideration.

Thank you for sharing your valuable experience, Arabic & More. It was very helpful.
I'm a little bit concerned, but will check carefully and update any result!

[Edited at 2020-05-02 08:24 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No May 2, 2020

In general, there's no need for your client to know any of your age relevant information. Most banks don't require the recipient's date of birth. The banks Samuel quoted are the exception to the rule.

You could ask your client why s/he needs this information and ask for proof for such a requirement.

[Edited at 2020-05-02 10:17 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Security yes. May 2, 2020

Banks ask the customer (ie. you) for your date of birth in order to check your identity in case of frauds or potential frauds. If he has both your bank details AND your date of birth they can act like you in front of your bank (as an impostor). This is why I assumed it was a scammer.

Granted, perhaps some banks ask for this, or I would assume perhaps online services such as WeTransfer do, which is why I asked her to consult her bank first (by email or online chat, most banks have t
... See more
Banks ask the customer (ie. you) for your date of birth in order to check your identity in case of frauds or potential frauds. If he has both your bank details AND your date of birth they can act like you in front of your bank (as an impostor). This is why I assumed it was a scammer.

Granted, perhaps some banks ask for this, or I would assume perhaps online services such as WeTransfer do, which is why I asked her to consult her bank first (by email or online chat, most banks have this service).
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
No reputable banks ask for this, that I know of. May 2, 2020

Thayenga wrote:
Most banks don't require the recipient's date of birth. The banks Samuel quoted are the exception to the rule.

No reputable banks ask for this, that I know of. It's most likely one of the million online banks without a physical address/location with their customer service scattered around the world working at low rates in their pajamas from their bedroom or bathroom. Not somebody I would trust to handle my money.

[Edited at 2020-05-02 12:11 GMT]

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:49
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Date of Birth May 2, 2020

If you apply for a job at any company, you have to fill out an application form. Application form always asks for your date of birth in addition to other information. Similarly, if you open a bank account at any bank, they ask for your date of birth. This information is private, and is not shared with anybody outside the organization.

Coming to your question "Does the client need my date of birth?", they might need that information for their records. Just as they would ask that
... See more
If you apply for a job at any company, you have to fill out an application form. Application form always asks for your date of birth in addition to other information. Similarly, if you open a bank account at any bank, they ask for your date of birth. This information is private, and is not shared with anybody outside the organization.

Coming to your question "Does the client need my date of birth?", they might need that information for their records. Just as they would ask that in their application form, they might ask that for bank transfer as well. I am not very familiar with bank operations. A client might perhaps ask your date of birth for bank transfer.

You should not put your date of birth on documents such as your CV/resume, cover letter, etc. I noticed that you do not. There are so many people who put their date of birth on their CV/resume.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Minji May 3, 2020

Quite recently to be paid by a new client through an EMI, I was for the very first time asked to give my address and telephone number. I told them that my invoice contained those details. As I have been translating for a long while, I’m glad they haven’t asked for my age…

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment information: Does the client need my date of birth&year?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »