Thread poster: espoir03
espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Apr 7, 2020

Hello,

I use Memsource Editor for Memsource projects but icons in toolbar are too small and they are really inconvenient when translating.
Does anyone know if we can make toolbar bigger?

Memsource

Of course I tried from Tools > Preferences but I can't seem to find it.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Akiko

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Akiko Apr 7, 2020

Akiko Detke wrote:
I use Memsource Editor for Memsource projects but icons in toolbar are too small and they are really inconvenient when translating.

Your text seems to be quite big already. Compare it to mine (and my text is bigger than Windows' default size already):

memsource icons

I imagine you'll have the same problem with other programs that use this set of icons. If you want things to be bigger on your screen, perhaps try not to increase the font size in Windows but to increase the zoom.

https://www.cnet.com/news/grouphug-a-tiny-solar-startup-in-brooklyn-nabs-mark-cuban-as-an-investor/

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 04:55
Chinese to English
+ ...
High DPI settings Apr 7, 2020

Use System settings for high-DPI override.
DPI

[Edited at 2020-04-07 07:50 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:55
Danish to English
+ ...
Doesn't help Apr 7, 2020

I don't see any difference. The trouble seems to be that some applications are not yet designed to take high-resolution screens ('retina') and the scaling they need into account. My system scaling is set to 175% (17.3”, 2560x1440), so the icons in such dinosaur applications are very small.

As for those who still use 96 dpi screens, I can only say that it makes a lot of difference to the clarity of text to use a high-resolution screen and your eyes get less tired – particularly w
... See more
I don't see any difference. The trouble seems to be that some applications are not yet designed to take high-resolution screens ('retina') and the scaling they need into account. My system scaling is set to 175% (17.3”, 2560x1440), so the icons in such dinosaur applications are very small.

As for those who still use 96 dpi screens, I can only say that it makes a lot of difference to the clarity of text to use a high-resolution screen and your eyes get less tired – particularly when you’re on the wrong side of 50.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Comparison Apr 7, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

As for those who still use 96 dpi screens, I can only say that it makes a lot of difference to the clarity of text to use a high-resolution screen and your eyes get less tired – particularly when you’re on the wrong side of 50.

What difference do you not see?

https://imgur.com/bBDUENu

[Edited at 2020-04-07 11:25 GMT]

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Apr 7, 2020

Great to catch up with you again, thank you for replying to my post.
I'm not sure if I explained well, but I wanted "icon" (such as B, I, U etc) to be bigger, no the toolbar text (such as File, Edit, Tools).

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Lincoln Apr 7, 2020

Thank you for helping me again in addition to your memoQ support!

Wow, it worked - now it looks much better than before. In addition to toolbar icon, other parts all look much better.
Thank you so much!

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Thomas Apr 7, 2020

Thank you for helping me again.
I think you are right about high resolution - I bought new laptop last November and I had an issue with memoQ due to resolution.
I don't know much about PC, so I have never expected high resolution is problematic for CAT tool.
I chose my PC following retailer sales associate's advice, but I should have asked some spec advice here before buying!

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, but … Apr 7, 2020

Lincoln Hui wrote:

What difference do you not see?

I had overlooked 'system' in the options. So yes, it does make a difference, but not for the better (in my view):

Picture1

The proportions return to how they would be on a 96-dpi screen, but the downside is that the fonts become blurred because Windows' scaling handling of them is disabled. In other words, the advantage of using a high-resolution screen is lost. But the icons are bigger. I prefer the clear fonts and small icons as a modest price to pay.

It would be better if Memsource could get their act together and support high-resolution screens properly.

Stepan Konev
espoir03

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
System (Enhanced) Apr 7, 2020

Does choosing "System (Enhanced)" result in any improvement?

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Don't know Apr 7, 2020

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Does choosing "System (Enhanced)" result in any improvement?

I don't know. I'm done playing around with this. After the previous experiments, Windows Explorer was hanging and couldn't be restarted by Windows Task Manager, which itself was hanging. I had to restart Windows. Windows Explorer on Windows 10 has always been quite unstable and crashes regularly.

espoir03

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:55
English to Russian
Either blurred or microscopic — your choice... Apr 7, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
The proportions return to how they would be on a 96-dpi screen, but the downside is that the fonts become blurred

I experience exactly the same issue. Not only with Memsource but with many programs in general.
I prefer shortcuts and don't use interface buttons. So, small icons are a better choice for me. Blurred interface looks real clumsy. And I just can't understand when it happened. I don't remember this was a big problem with Windows7...
System (Enhanced) is no help at all.

[Edited at 2020-04-07 14:53 GMT]

espoir03

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Memsource Editor - toolbar too small

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »