Export MemoQ import settings to SDL Trados?
Thread poster: Profdoc
Profdoc
Profdoc
Local time: 11:20
Swedish to English
Oct 26, 2020

Is there a way to export import settings from MemoQ to SDL Trados? Our company uses MemoQ but we will use an external translator for one language, and that translator uses Trados. We use a customized import filter when importing XML files to MemoQ that allows us to translate image names, file names in links etc.
If the setting can't be exported to Trados directly, is there a clever workaround?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Inexistent need? Oct 26, 2020

If everything you wish is in the memoQ file after import with your import filter, all you need to do is export a memoQ XLIFF file, which your translator can import into Studio with no need to repeat the import process.

Stepan Konev

Profdoc
Profdoc
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe more nice-to-have Oct 26, 2020

Thanks for the tip! That is a possible workaround. We will however send quite a few documents to our external translator on a continuous basis so it would be nice if she had a corresponding import filter in Trados. Is there a clever way to do this or will we have to set up the filter from scratch? The reason I'm asking is simply that I found it a bit tricky to set up the filter in MemoQ and it would save me a lot of time if we could somehow reuse my MemoQ filter for Trados.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How will you re-integrate the work into your project? Oct 26, 2020

Maybe I am not understanding what you had in mind, but... if you ask your external person to do their own import of the original files into Studio, how do you plan to integrate that person's work into your workflow?

If you send this person a memoQ XLIFF file, they can easily translate it in Studio (they can create their own project, but the files will have YOUR segmentation and tags), and then you can reimport the target file from Studio seamlessly back into memoQ (you update memoQ'
... See more
Maybe I am not understanding what you had in mind, but... if you ask your external person to do their own import of the original files into Studio, how do you plan to integrate that person's work into your workflow?

If you send this person a memoQ XLIFF file, they can easily translate it in Studio (they can create their own project, but the files will have YOUR segmentation and tags), and then you can reimport the target file from Studio seamlessly back into memoQ (you update memoQ's file with the translated content from the delivery).

On the opposite, if you receive Studio files created anew by your external resource, they will be treated as new files in your memoQ workflow, and you would need to do the following to make use of the translations:
- Import the translator's SDLXLIFF files into memoQ as NEW bilingual files
- Confirm all segments to feed the translations into your TM
- Using the TM, translate your memoQ files again in memoQ, at the risk of having a different segmentation, different types of tags, different treatment of numbers, etc.

In my experience in this kind of interoperation, only about 90% of the translation will be reusable as 100% matches, and for the rest you will need a linguist who understands the language to apply bits and pieces from the TM which are segmented or tagged differently by memoQ and Studio.

To me, if you let the other translator import him/herself, even if import settings that are in theory identical to yours in memoQ, you are placing this resource OUTSIDE of your workflow, and it forces you to do unnecessary extra work to make use of the translations. Repeat this many times every year, and you are wasting a lot of time in work with no value (for which you will need a linguist who understands the language).
Collapse

Stepan Konev

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Filling the TM with rubbish Oct 26, 2020

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:
- Import the translator's SDLXLIFF files into memoQ as NEW bilingual files
- Confirm all segments to feed the translations into your TM
- Using the TM, translate your memoQ files again in memoQ, at the risk of having a different segmentation, different types of tags, different treatment of numbers, etc.

One extra consequence of this approach: your TM will end up containing segments with the way how Studio segmented and tagged, plus the correct segments in memoQ's segmenting and tagging. In any maintenance of the TM (to change terminology/phrases, to edit the wording of certain frequent segment, etc.) you will do double the work to fix your native memoQ segments and your translator's segments from the Studio files.

It does not really make much sense. It is really simple: make your memoQ project, export bilingual memoQ XLIFF files and have the external translator work with it. They will hardly notice the difference, but you will ensure you have YOUR project under control.

Stepan Konev

Profdoc
Profdoc
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your input! Oct 26, 2020

Much appreciated!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export MemoQ import settings to SDL Trados?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »