Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 7, 2020

Hello everyone

With Trados (and most other offline CAT tools), I can easily create a "backup" or dummy copy of certain files if I want to try something that I might want to be able to roll back, but since MemoQ's projects don't work with files that one can manipulate outside of MemoQ, it would seem that any large action that I do on MemoQ (e.g. update from bilingual review) is non-reversible. I could use the "backup and restore" feature, but that only works for offline projects. Is
... See more
Hello everyone

With Trados (and most other offline CAT tools), I can easily create a "backup" or dummy copy of certain files if I want to try something that I might want to be able to roll back, but since MemoQ's projects don't work with files that one can manipulate outside of MemoQ, it would seem that any large action that I do on MemoQ (e.g. update from bilingual review) is non-reversible. I could use the "backup and restore" feature, but that only works for offline projects. Is there a way to simply duplicate an active project locally so that I can do my experimentation on the duplicate project first?

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2020-05-07 08:43 GMT]
Collapse

gfichter
gfichter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:07
English
+ ...
Possible workaround May 7, 2020

You could save all the files as bilingual, and then open them in another project.
It is a workaround, not an elegant solution, but bilingual files also provide disaster relief if your project gets lost or something else goes wrong.
All the files can be saved in one step, and placed in a time-stamped directory.
Good luck,
George

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:07
English to Russian
Create Snapshot May 7, 2020

You can create a snapshot by clicking RMB on a file or files and selecting the 'Create Snapshot...' command. It creates a current copy of your translation. You can revert to this snapshot later by clicking RMB on the file and selecting the 'History/Reports' command. This will open the list of versions for your current file. From that list, you can restore any version.
*You can create snapshots for multiple files at a time, but when reverting, you can only choose one file at a time, because
... See more
You can create a snapshot by clicking RMB on a file or files and selecting the 'Create Snapshot...' command. It creates a current copy of your translation. You can revert to this snapshot later by clicking RMB on the file and selecting the 'History/Reports' command. This will open the list of versions for your current file. From that list, you can restore any version.
*You can create snapshots for multiple files at a time, but when reverting, you can only choose one file at a time, because obviously memoQ cannot show all snapshots/versions (can be dozens) of multiple files (can be dozens again).

Don't forget to add comments when you create snapshots manually, because memoQ creates them automatically too, and it may be difficult for you to find exactly what snapshot you created yourself.

memoQ creates snapshots automatically in some cases. Those cases include Import, Export, Update from bilingual file, Pre-translate, and maybe some other events I am not aware of.
You mentioned that you updated your file, so there should be a snapshot already there (maybe even two snapshots: before update and after update). Just click RMB on your file and press History/Reports to check out.

[Edited at 2020-05-08 00:07 GMT]
Collapse

LeoM1905

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Stepan May 8, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:
You can create a snapshot by [ right-clicking ] on a file or files and selecting 'Create Snapshot...'.

Thanks, but is this option available for non-local projects? In the examples I checked, the option on the right-click menu was greyed out for non-local projects, and the option to "restore version" in the History dialog was also greyed out.

[Edited at 2020-05-08 07:17 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:07
English to Russian
Ah yes, it may depend on May 8, 2020

how they created the project. When creating a project, they should check the 'Record version history for translation documents' checkbox. If not, the option is not available.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to duplicate projects

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »