Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 4, 2020

Hello

In WFC, I can type the first letter or letters of any word that appears in the source text, and press TAB, and that word will be copied into the target field. The same applies to e.g. text in brackets (parentheses): if I type the opening bracket, and press TAB, the entire piece of text from opening bracket to closing bracket is copied into the target field. Is there a similar function in MemoQ?

Samuel

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Predictive typing and AutoPick May 4, 2020

You have two related features exactly for that in memoQ. You want to look for information about "Predictive typing" and "AutoPick".

With these features, you get to types of suggestions:
- For Predictive Typing, terms, concordance fragments found in the TM (what they call LSC, which show up in yellow in the translation results)...
- For AutoPick, mostly placeables (numbers, autotranslatable elements...)

Once you have learnt about what types of suggestions yo
... See more
You have two related features exactly for that in memoQ. You want to look for information about "Predictive typing" and "AutoPick".

With these features, you get to types of suggestions:
- For Predictive Typing, terms, concordance fragments found in the TM (what they call LSC, which show up in yellow in the translation results)...
- For AutoPick, mostly placeables (numbers, autotranslatable elements...)

Once you have learnt about what types of suggestions you get with each feature, you can influence their behaviour with the two-tabbed dialog box you can open from the grid, Translation tab, Translation Settings in the ribbon > Predictive typing and AutoPick.

These are among the features that save me a lot of time daily, so it pays to learn and experiment with them.
Collapse

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:41
Russian to English
+ ...
This probably isn't exactly what you're looking for May 4, 2020

Because I work in two different alphabets, I've never looked for a memoQ shortcut like the one you describe in WFC. However, there is a keyboard shortcut that transfers text you have selected using your mouse from the source field to the target field: Ctrl+Shift+T.

There is also a shortcut that transfers everything in the source field to the target field: Ctrl+Shift+S.

Personally, I use Dragon Professional Individual 15.3 to dictate translations, and I try to avoid touc
... See more
Because I work in two different alphabets, I've never looked for a memoQ shortcut like the one you describe in WFC. However, there is a keyboard shortcut that transfers text you have selected using your mouse from the source field to the target field: Ctrl+Shift+T.

There is also a shortcut that transfers everything in the source field to the target field: Ctrl+Shift+S.

Personally, I use Dragon Professional Individual 15.3 to dictate translations, and I try to avoid touching the keyboard any more than I have to. I've created voice-activated macros to execute those macros and do the heavy lifting for me by copying a desired number of words left or right of a cursor I place in the source field and then transferring them to the desired location in the target field.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:41
English to Russian
Predictive typing has nothing to do with the subject May 5, 2020

Predictive typing suggests translation from different sources like termbase or muses. As far as I understand Samuel wants source text copied and pasted in target, not translation. Therefore, Predictive typing is not “exactly for that” at all. Autopick is slightly closer to this task but 1. it is limited to placeables and 2. You cannot change the shortcut (Crrl) to anything else, which makes using this feature extremely cumbersome. I always disable it because Ctrl is widely used for other com... See more
Predictive typing suggests translation from different sources like termbase or muses. As far as I understand Samuel wants source text copied and pasted in target, not translation. Therefore, Predictive typing is not “exactly for that” at all. Autopick is slightly closer to this task but 1. it is limited to placeables and 2. You cannot change the shortcut (Crrl) to anything else, which makes using this feature extremely cumbersome. I always disable it because Ctrl is widely used for other commands and it often prevents those commands from running correctly, when Autopick takes over the Control functionality.
These are two major weak points in memoQ.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tomás May 5, 2020

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:
- For Predictive Typing, terms, concordance fragments found in the TM (what they call LSC, which show up in yellow in the translation results).

Okay, so... then, in order to make the source text available in predictive typing, I gather I have to create a dummy project with the same files (or use the active project, if all segments are currently untranslated), and do copy-source-to-target and confirm all those "translations", and penalise the TM so that its translations are never suggested as fuzzy matches. Can you think of a quicker way to accomplish it?

- For AutoPick, mostly placeables...

Thanks, but some of what I would like to have copied are not definable as placeables. For example, generic drug names and chemical compounds.

[Edited at 2020-05-05 07:29 GMT]

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
CafeTran May 5, 2020

When I first started learning to use CafeTran, I was pleasantly surprised to find that when I selected something from the source and let go of the mouse button, it automatically was placed in the target!

I know this doesn´t help your question for MemoQ, but I just wanted to mention that nice feature of not having to also click Copy and Paste.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What type of words do you mean? May 9, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
In WFC, I can type the first letter or letters of any word that appears in the source text, and press TAB, and that word will be copied into the target field. The same applies to e.g. text in brackets (parentheses): if I type the opening bracket, and press TAB, the entire piece of text from opening bracket to closing bracket is copied into the target field. Is there a similar function in MemoQ?

Oh, indeed I misunderstood the matter completely.

Why would you need to copy words from the source text to the target text? Please elaborate. Do you mean non-translatables? Maybe known brand/product/service names (non-translatables), people's names that you frequently need to keep, names of regulations and the like you want to keep in the source language in some way?

If you mean non-translatables, we do have that very often in our projects. What we do is simply create a termbase with non-translatables, where the source and target language contain the same, and add other non-translatables as we go. Thus, we can easily use them with predictive typing as well as for QA purposes. However, personally I feel that whenever a segment contains non-translatables or figures, it is safer to copy source to target and overwrite.

Stepan Konev

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tomás May 9, 2020

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:
Why would you need to copy words from the source text to the target text?

Oh, I think the main reason is simply because I'm used to being able to do that in my main CAT tool, so it is something that I "miss" in the new CAT tool. That does not mean the function is essential to me -- it's just what I'm used to. I'm sure that if I had used MemoQ from the start of my career, I would not have missed this missing feature.

If a segment contains many such words, then of course copying the entire source text into the target field is a good option. But if I've already started crafting a translation, and I get to a word that would be cumbersome to type, and the translation of that word is similar to the source word, then being able to copy that word over quickly and easily saves time on typing. If it is a frequently occurring word (or one that I estimate at the start of the project might be a frequently occurring word), I'll certainly use your tip about adding it to the glossary.

Say, does MemoQ offer automatic pre-concordancing? I mean, does it tell you which words or phrases in the current segment are frequently occurring in future segments of the same file? I know some CAT tools offer such a feature.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
@Samuel May 9, 2020

I think James gave the right answer, to copy source (word, sentence, paragraph whatever) to target simply select source and you transfer it to target with CTRL+Shift+T. It can be very useful with, say, formulas and the like.

Caspar van Vark
Caspar van Vark
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:41
Dutch to English
I miss this WFC feature too Jan 6, 2022

I am in the same boat now - I've just started using MemoQ and I desperately miss this feature. In WFC I could skip through the words in the source segment and hit return to copy a word into the target. It was so useful for words that didn't need translating, especially a group of several words like the name of a report or something like that.

But it sounds like I will have to get used to selecting the word or words and then doing control-shift-T, though tbh it might be as quick to
... See more
I am in the same boat now - I've just started using MemoQ and I desperately miss this feature. In WFC I could skip through the words in the source segment and hit return to copy a word into the target. It was so useful for words that didn't need translating, especially a group of several words like the name of a report or something like that.

But it sounds like I will have to get used to selecting the word or words and then doing control-shift-T, though tbh it might be as quick to just type it. Unless a new solution has emerged in the meantime?
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
AutoIt macro Jan 8, 2022

Samuel, by using regular expressions, it should be possible to copy the source segment to the clipboard and then put everything between brackets and quotes on a spike.

Erwin van Wouw
Erwin van Wouw  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Turn proper nouns into placeables Jan 10, 2022

You could try using this hack by CATGuru to turn proper nouns into placeables. The only downside to this is that it also serves the first word of a sentence as placeable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbNzMPYo5Iw

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
AutoHotkey Jan 10, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hello

Samuel

Assign an AutoHotkey macro to the TAB key. The macro can run this JavaScript:

(() => {
"use strict";

// Lines of quoted strings only.

// quotedTokens :: String -> [String]
const quotedTokens = source => {
// A list of the quoted tokens in the source.
const quoteChars = "“”‘’„‟()";

return groupBy(
on(eq)(
c => quoteChars.includes(c)
)
)(` ${source}`)
.reduce(
([s, xs], cs, i) => 0 !== i % 4 ? (
[`${s}${cs.join("")}`, xs]
) : Boolean(s) ? (
["", xs.concat(s)]
) : [s, xs],
["", []]
)[1];
};

const main = () => {
const
prefixes = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789";

const
tokens = quotedTokens(
Application("Keyboard Maestro Engine")
.getvariable("quotedSource")
);

return prefixes.length >= tokens.length ? (
zipWith(
prefix => token => `${prefix} - ${token}`
)(
prefixes.split("")
)(
tokens
).join("\n")
) : "Not enough prefixes defined for token list";
};

// --------------------- GENERIC ---------------------

// Tuple (,) :: a -> b -> (a, b)
const Tuple = a =>
// A pair of values, possibly of
// different types.
b => ({
type: "Tuple",
"0": a,
"1": b,
length: 2,
*[Symbol.iterator]() {
for (const k in this) {
if (!isNaN(k)) {
yield this[k];
}
}
}
});

// eq (==) :: Eq a => a -> a -> Bool
const eq = a =>
// True when a and b are equivalent in the terms
// defined below for their shared data type.
b => a === b;

// groupBy :: (a -> a -> Bool) -> [a] -> [[a]]
const groupBy = eqOp =>
// A list of lists, each containing only elements
// equal under the given equality operator,
// such that the concatenation of these lists is xs.
xs => 0 < xs.length ? (() => {
const [h, ...t] = xs;
const [groups, g] = t.reduce(
([gs, a], x) => eqOp(x)(a[0]) ? (
Tuple(gs)([...a, x])
) : Tuple([...gs, a])([x]),
Tuple([])([h])
);

return [...groups, g];
})() : [];

// on :: (b -> b -> c) -> (a -> b) -> a -> a -> c
const on = f =>
// e.g. groupBy(on(eq)(length))
g => a => b => f(g(a))(g(b));

// zipWith :: (a -> b -> c) -> [a] -> [b] -> [c]
const zipWith = f =>
// A list constructed by zipping with a
// custom function, rather than with the
// default tuple constructor.
xs => ys => xs.map(
(x, i) => f(x)(ys[i])
).slice(
0, Math.min(xs.length, ys.length)
);

// MAIN ---
return main();
})();

(The script needs to be adapted for AutoHotkey.)

[Edited at 2022-01-10 13:19 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to autotype words from source

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »