Emily Gilby
Emily Gilby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:42
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 14, 2019

This is a debate that I always have with myself when translating medical texts and which I've never really gotten to the bottom of. I can't really find a definitive answer as to whether these words mean the same thing or if there is perhaps a slight difference in meaning. What is your general rule when using these terms? Is there a difference in meaning?

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 06:42
Romanian to English
+ ...
one explanation Oct 14, 2019

Dilatation is defined as a region of dilation, an area of abnormal enlargement, or the surgical enlargement of a region (noun describing the verb). Dilation is defined as the act of dilating (stretching out), the state of being dilated, and confusingly: dilatation. Both definitions cross-refer to one another.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:42
German to English
Sometimes used interchangeably, unfortunately Oct 14, 2019

There are various medical articles on the topic, but unfortunately they are not freely accessible.
Below is a page that offers an opinion on the difference and gives a detailed explanation.
Dilation: passive process
Dilatation: active process

https://pediaa.com/difference-between-dilation-and-dilatation/

Doubtless many may dispute
... See more
There are various medical articles on the topic, but unfortunately they are not freely accessible.
Below is a page that offers an opinion on the difference and gives a detailed explanation.
Dilation: passive process
Dilatation: active process

https://pediaa.com/difference-between-dilation-and-dilatation/

Doubtless many may dispute the categorization.
Collapse

DZiW (X)

andreas18
andreas18
United States
its very simple Nov 25, 2019

In the simplest terms and most convenient way; dilation is physiologic whereas dilatation is pathologic.

Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dilation vs dilatation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »