Thread poster: Anna Aresi
Anna Aresi
Anna Aresi
United States
Local time: 23:40
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 2, 2020

Hi, I need to translate a document that is originally written in two languages, Italian and French, but was issued by Italy and I am a translator from Italian. Both the Italian and the French text say the same things, the French being a translation of the Italian. Should I leave it in French in the translation or just translate the Italian into English leaving out the repetition in French? Thanks!

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
language list Dec 2, 2020

Without knowing the situation, I think they want it in all three languages on the same document, so that the readers may read the text in their language. So just put your translation at the end (or between Italian and French). To be sure, I suggest that you ask the client how they want it done, exactly.

Josephine Cassar

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:40
English to Arabic
+ ...
..... Dec 2, 2020

Write between say, square brackets, in the middle of the page that the respective source text paragraph's content is the exact same as the previous (or, next) target text paragraph's content, but in French.
[Paragraph -- : same content as the immediate paragraph above (or, below), only delivered in French within the source document]

Anna Aresi

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:40
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Anna Dec 2, 2020

In order to try to help you, could you please answer the following questions: Why was the document originally written in two languages? Was it really issued by Italy? As far as I know the only country in Europe that has French and Italian as official languages is Switzerland…

Anna Aresi
Anna Aresi
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Document issued by Italy Dec 2, 2020

Hi, thank you so much! Yes, the document was issued by Italy. they don't do it anymore but they used to have them in French as well, maybe it was a European thing or something? Anyway it is an Italian vital record which they need at the town clerk to amend a name; the person was born in Italy but her name was changed in the naturalization process and now she has different documents with different spellings but in order to change the American documents they need the original birth certificate + t... See more
Hi, thank you so much! Yes, the document was issued by Italy. they don't do it anymore but they used to have them in French as well, maybe it was a European thing or something? Anyway it is an Italian vital record which they need at the town clerk to amend a name; the person was born in Italy but her name was changed in the naturalization process and now she has different documents with different spellings but in order to change the American documents they need the original birth certificate + translation on file.Collapse

Anna Aresi
Anna Aresi
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ps Dec 2, 2020

In fact I should rectify, it's not bilingual in that the two languages are on the same plane, rather the document is in Italian and then it's translated into French in smaller font underneath each line. Sorry if this is confusing, but when you glance at it it's very obvious that it's an Italian document with a French translation.

Sadek_A
English to Arabic
+ ...
..... Dec 2, 2020

I understood what you meant the first time, and my suggestion remains valid (by replacing the word "paragraph" with the word "line"; but, perhaps without numbering for the lines).

I'm familiar with the topic because some of the Indian documents that always came across me included Devanāgarī+English.

However, unlike French that can be confused with Italian by the non-speaker, Devanāgarī is a totally different writing that can NOT be confused with English whatsoever (
... See more
I understood what you meant the first time, and my suggestion remains valid (by replacing the word "paragraph" with the word "line"; but, perhaps without numbering for the lines).

I'm familiar with the topic because some of the Indian documents that always came across me included Devanāgarī+English.

However, unlike French that can be confused with Italian by the non-speaker, Devanāgarī is a totally different writing that can NOT be confused with English whatsoever (so, the square brackets note wasn't really required in that case).

You will be incorporating said note just to assure the reader of the English translation that no part of the source was omitted nor neglected.

Needless to say, you have to be 100% sure it's French and saying the exact same thing as the Italian.
Collapse

Anna Aresi

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 05:40
English to Polish
+ ...
Again? Why don't you ask the customer first? Dec 3, 2020

Always ask the customer about such things

Anna Aresi
Anna Aresi
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did but she didn't know! Dec 3, 2020

Paweł Hamerski wrote:

Always ask the customer about such things

I did, but it's a private client unfamiliar with the process and she had no idea. I managed however to find out the office that will receive the translation, and I will call them today to ask as well.

Anna Aresi
Anna Aresi
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Sadek Dec 3, 2020

However, unlike French that can be confused with Italian by the non-speaker, Devanāgarī is a totally different writing that can NOT be confused with English whatsoever (so, the square brackets note wasn't really required in that case).

You will be incorporating said note just to assure the reader of the English translation that no part of the sour
... See more

You will be incorporating said note just to assure the reader of the English translation that no part of the source was omitted nor neglected.

Needless to say, you have to be 100% sure it's French and saying the exact same thing as the Italian.
[/quote]

Thank you so much! I am inclined to do life you suggest and, yes, I know French and I am 100% sure that it's French. I also managed to obtain the phone number and name of the contact person for the office that will receive the translation, so I'll contact them directly and ask. Basically what I was wondering was if there was a standard way of doing this, but it doesn't look like it which is mainly what I wanted to know, also for future reference. Thank you again!
Collapse

Sadek_A

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:40
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Anna Dec 3, 2020

In Belgium there are three official languages: French, Flemish and German. I lived there for 30 years (I moved back to Portugal three years ago) and I was a sworn translator but only for French-Portuguese. So, when faced with official documents issued in more than one language (usually it’s French + Flemish or French + German, side by side in two columns) I translated only from French and made a note saying that though I translated from French the original document was also written in another ... See more
In Belgium there are three official languages: French, Flemish and German. I lived there for 30 years (I moved back to Portugal three years ago) and I was a sworn translator but only for French-Portuguese. So, when faced with official documents issued in more than one language (usually it’s French + Flemish or French + German, side by side in two columns) I translated only from French and made a note saying that though I translated from French the original document was also written in another language. Hope this is useful…Collapse

Anna Aresi
Josephine Cassar

Anna Aresi
Anna Aresi
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Teresa Dec 3, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote: Hope this is useful…

Yes, thank you!

Sadek_A
English to Arabic
+ ...
Anna Dec 3, 2020

You're most welcome.

The only reasonable concern with this document is that the US clerk(s) responsible for processing might suspect (deliberate) omission (on account of their very likely inability to speak French) and refuse to process, in which case the client will have to get back to you resulting in inconveniences for all involved parties.

Good luck.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Val d'Aosta Region Dec 21, 2020

Anna Aresi wrote:

Hi, thank you so much! Yes, the document was issued by Italy. they don't do it anymore but they used to have them in French as well, maybe it was a European thing or something? Anyway it is an Italian vital record which they need at the town clerk to amend a name; the person was born in Italy but her name was changed in the naturalization process and now she has different documents with different spellings but in order to change the American documents they need the original birth certificate + translation on file.

French is also official in the Region Val d'Aosta, like German in Trentino Alto Adige Region. So sometimes there are documents written in French and/or German other than Italian.

[Edited at 2020-12-21 10:49 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
@Teresa Dec 21, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

In order to try to help you, could you please answer the following questions: Why was the document originally written in two languages? Was it really issued by Italy? As far as I know the only country in Europe that has French and Italian as official languages is Switzerland…

Generally speaking French and German can be considered official languages together with Italian also in Italy, that's because French is official in Val d'Aosta Region, and German in Trentino Alto Adige.

WS McCallum

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a multilingual document into English

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »