Terminology question concerning a police report (Spanish-English)
Thread poster: AMcMillin
AMcMillin
AMcMillin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2018

Hello, fellow translators. I am currently translating a police report and I have a couple of questions concerning some words that I "think" are abbreviations. The language pair is Spanish-English so the original documentation is in Spanish. I have tried to research the following terms but have not had any luck. This is a police report from Mexico. One of them has to do with the first page of the police report and the word appears at the bottom of the page where the agents' signature is supposed ... See more
Hello, fellow translators. I am currently translating a police report and I have a couple of questions concerning some words that I "think" are abbreviations. The language pair is Spanish-English so the original documentation is in Spanish. I have tried to research the following terms but have not had any luck. This is a police report from Mexico. One of them has to do with the first page of the police report and the word appears at the bottom of the page where the agents' signature is supposed to appear. It is for an agent who works for the Public Prosecutor's Office and it has the text "MISS" at the end of the person's name and their title listed below their name. "Lic." appears right before their name, which I already understand, but I do not know what "MISS" means.

There is also a document included for one of the witnesses' statements and there is a note explaining what type of identification the witness presented. Part of the problem is that there is a section of text that was denoted as "illegible" but the text that follows it says "del bog en esta col.". If this helps, the note explains that the witness presented a Mexico tourist card to them. I am wondering if "bog" refers to the agency that issued the card to the witness. I also do not know what "col." refers to in this context. I know that "col." can stand for "district" or "neighborhood" but I am not completely sure if that word applies in this case since some of the other text was illegible. I can provide the full sentence of text if that would help you.

Any ideas or information anyone can provide would be highly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Adrienne
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:36
Catalan to English
+ ...
Terminology Jul 7, 2018

Hi,

The place for terminology questions is the KudoZ section, not the forums.

And if you decide to post there, please indicate which country this is from.

Thanks,

Andy

Jorge Payan

AMcMillin
AMcMillin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 8, 2018

Thank you, Andy! I apologize for the error and I will use Kudoz from now on. Thank you for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terminology question concerning a police report (Spanish-English)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »