Birth certificate template
Thread poster: isabelid
isabelid
isabelid
United States
English to Spanish
Jun 12, 2018

Hello,
A friend asked me to help him by translating a birth certificate from Colombia. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any free templates online. I am not worried about the content/vocabulary but more about the document format.
Thank you in advance for any leads you can provide me,
Isabel

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:01
French to English
Translating official documents Jun 12, 2018

When translating official documents, most translators try to copy the format and the presentation of the original. I try to respect the font type and follow the difference in font size where this varies on the original. I never invent or copy another format. The idea is generally to follow the original as closely as you can. In fact, the formatting and layout often take more time than translating the words of the document. Let the original be your guide.

One further point, if you a
... See more
When translating official documents, most translators try to copy the format and the presentation of the original. I try to respect the font type and follow the difference in font size where this varies on the original. I never invent or copy another format. The idea is generally to follow the original as closely as you can. In fact, the formatting and layout often take more time than translating the words of the document. Let the original be your guide.

One further point, if you are helping your friend with the translation of an official document, check whether there are requirements to be met. If he is using intending to use it for official purposes, it may have to be done by a certified translator, for example. It would be a shame for the translation to be refused if you do not meet those requirements.

[Edited at 2018-06-12 21:26 GMT]
Collapse

mughwI
Inga Petkelyte

isabelid
isabelid
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 12, 2018

Thank you Nikki!

Trevino Translations (X)
Trevino Translations (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
Another POV Jun 13, 2018

Hi,

I usually don't spend time replicating the exact format of an original birth certificate or other administrative document. As I translate, I do keep the spacing and replicate font sizes or bolding, for example, to make the different sections follow visually but other formatting is, IMHO, not what I'm being paid for. The more time you spend on a document, the less you are being paid for your work.

My two cents.

Best,

Trevino Tra
... See more
Hi,

I usually don't spend time replicating the exact format of an original birth certificate or other administrative document. As I translate, I do keep the spacing and replicate font sizes or bolding, for example, to make the different sections follow visually but other formatting is, IMHO, not what I'm being paid for. The more time you spend on a document, the less you are being paid for your work.

My two cents.

Best,

Trevino Translations
Collapse

EstefaniaAlbert

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Makes sense Jun 13, 2018

Actually, isabelid's request makes sense to me.
I have a collection of birth, marriage, and death certificates from a variety of countries. I format them as tables, and they can be quite complicated. I reuse them when a similar document hits my desk. If I had a Colombian birth certificate in my files, I could delete the particulars and send her the template along with the headings, such as "Fecha de nacimiento."
I have often thought it would be a good idea for those of us
... See more
Actually, isabelid's request makes sense to me.
I have a collection of birth, marriage, and death certificates from a variety of countries. I format them as tables, and they can be quite complicated. I reuse them when a similar document hits my desk. If I had a Colombian birth certificate in my files, I could delete the particulars and send her the template along with the headings, such as "Fecha de nacimiento."
I have often thought it would be a good idea for those of us who translate certificates to set up a little "bank" of such templates on Google docs or something and exchange them with each other.
BTW, I don't know what isabelid's client needs the translation for. However if it is being translated for immigration to the U.S., or for a U.S. university application, she doesn't have to be a sworn translator, as that category doesn't exist in this country.
Collapse

Angelica Christin

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
@Jessica Jun 13, 2018

Your points are clearly made. I do spend quite a lot of time getting my own templates set up, generally variations upon a theme. Administrative services do seem to enjoy changing formats quite often. My templates have taken me a lot of time and they enable me to produce documents that the client can discuss with authorities easily as from a visual point of view the original and the translation really do look alike. it can be a real plus in tense situations (divorce, inheritance, etc.). My choice... See more
Your points are clearly made. I do spend quite a lot of time getting my own templates set up, generally variations upon a theme. Administrative services do seem to enjoy changing formats quite often. My templates have taken me a lot of time and they enable me to produce documents that the client can discuss with authorities easily as from a visual point of view the original and the translation really do look alike. it can be a real plus in tense situations (divorce, inheritance, etc.). My choice comes from having assisted clients at meetings with their lawyers and some of the translations that I have seen are of next to no use when there is no formatting. However, I understand that a basic table format can be perfectly adequate.

Yes, requirements vary from one country another when it comes to certifying a translation.

[Edited at 2018-06-13 16:14 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Birth certificate template

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »