ingrid devanne
France
Local time: 18:23
Member (2018)
English to French
+ ...
Jul 22, 2020

Hello !

I am a French translator (european) and I was wondering if any British/American/Canadian/Australian translator would be interested in getting in touch for linguistic skill exchange.
By this, I mean it happens when I am translating that I get stuck on a sentence because I definitely don't get it. In that case, I often think that it would be great if I could ask a native if he/she could help. And I also think that he/she could be in the same situation and could also need
... See more
Hello !

I am a French translator (european) and I was wondering if any British/American/Canadian/Australian translator would be interested in getting in touch for linguistic skill exchange.
By this, I mean it happens when I am translating that I get stuck on a sentence because I definitely don't get it. In that case, I often think that it would be great if I could ask a native if he/she could help. And I also think that he/she could be in the same situation and could also need my help.
Anyway, I don't know if my post is off-topic, but I hope not.
In case anyone would be interested and could use my French skills too, just contact me via this forum.
I wish you all a great day,
Ingrid
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Édith Koumtoudji

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 17:23
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ingrid, Jul 22, 2020

in order to get help with a term in your linguistic combination, you need to go to:

kudoz

I hope it helps!

Aline Amorim

ingrid devanne
ingrid devanne
France
Member (2018)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Skill Exchange Jul 22, 2020

Hello,

Thanks for your answer but that's not my point.
I am not looking for a specific term translation but more for English-speaking translators who could help and whom I could help when needed.
Best regards,
Ingrid

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe I misunderstood you Jul 22, 2020

ingrid devanne wrote:
By this, I mean it happens when I am translating that I get stuck on a sentence because I definitely don't get it. In that case, I often think that it would be great if I could ask a native if he/she could help. And I also think that he/she could be in the same situation and could also need my help.

The Terminology section is intended for that purpose, but maybe I misunderstood you.
You can try:
https://www.proz.com/?sp=exchange
or
https://www.proz.com/pools/native-speaker-conversation-partners
I am not aware of any "services" other than these ones.

Yolanda Broad

ingrid devanne
ingrid devanne
France
Member (2018)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Hello again,

Actually I posted on the general forum and the moderator told me to post here.
As explained, I am just trying to get in touch with translators to ask them questions when I am stuck with a term and to offer my French skills when they are stuck.
Not through a forum or anything, just as contacts that you can get in touch with whenever you need a hand. To put it in a nutshell, 'translator-pals'... See more
Hello again,

As explained, I am just trying to get in touch with translators to ask them questions when I am stuck with a term and to offer my French skills when they are stuck.
Not through a forum or anything, just as contacts that you can get in touch with whenever you need a hand. To put it in a nutshell, 'translator-pals'

Hope I am clear...
Best regards,
Ingrid
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, you were clear Jul 22, 2020

I believe we can get these kind of contacts over the years and with interaction in the forums, but I believe this is a good start to get your translator pals through this post.
Best of luck!
Kind regards,
Sandra

Elizabeth Tamblin

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I wonder if you misread the intention Jul 22, 2020

ingrid devanne wrote:

I think they probably intended you to post a specific query on KudoZ (https://www.proz.com/ask) rather than using the forum about KudoZ .

Not through a forum or anything, just as contacts that you can get in touch with whenever you need a hand. To put it in a nutshell, 'translator-pals'

If it belongs anywhere, this belongs here: https://www.proz.com/?sp=exchange

expressisverbis
Yolanda Broad
Jorge Payan

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sheila, Jul 22, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:

ingrid devanne wrote:

I think they probably intended you to post a specific query on KudoZ (https://www.proz.com/ask) rather than using the forum about KudoZ .

If it belongs anywhere, this belongs here: https://www.proz.com/?sp=exchange

That's what I have pointed out before, but it seems it doesn't apply to what Ingrid needs.

Sheila Wilson
ingrid devanne

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
I think it's a great idea Jul 22, 2020

Count me in!

expressisverbis

ingrid devanne
ingrid devanne
France
Member (2018)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Hi,

Oh great thanks for answering Elizabeth ! I'm happy you think it's a good idea
Kind regards,
Ingrid

Édith Koumtoudji
Édith Koumtoudji  Identity Verified
South Africa
Local time: 19:23
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
I'm interested! Jul 30, 2020

Hi Ingrid

I hope my reply is not too late. I like your idea so please, feel free to contact me.

Bonne journée.

Édith F.

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Nice idea! Jul 30, 2020

Why not? (I'm as British as they come, language-wise.)

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:23
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
For a term question, you can always use Kudoz Jul 30, 2020

It seems you were looking for peer translators that would be willing to help you when you have a hard time understanding a sentence in your source file, and you will do the same in return.

However, do you really have such a need very often? In my more than 20 years of practice, I rarely had such a need. Maybe once or twice in total. I may need help more often in expressing a word/phrase/concept properly in my target language than in understanding a word/phrase/concept in my source l
... See more
It seems you were looking for peer translators that would be willing to help you when you have a hard time understanding a sentence in your source file, and you will do the same in return.

However, do you really have such a need very often? In my more than 20 years of practice, I rarely had such a need. Maybe once or twice in total. I may need help more often in expressing a word/phrase/concept properly in my target language than in understanding a word/phrase/concept in my source language.

[Edited at 2020-07-30 22:54 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Skill Exchange

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »