Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
What are your biggest issues with the new KudoZ interface? ('Last call' for now)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:15
SITE FOUNDER
Jan 21, 2020

Hi folks,

In case anyone missed the postings over the last month or so, we have been working on an updated KudoZ interface -- a "responsive" one, as "required" by mobile phones and Google these days.

After making a number of improvements based on member requests and feedback, we see that the number of people opting to use the new rather than the old interface is hitting an inflection point. It seems an appropriate time to make the new/responsive interface the default on
... See more
Hi folks,

In case anyone missed the postings over the last month or so, we have been working on an updated KudoZ interface -- a "responsive" one, as "required" by mobile phones and Google these days.

After making a number of improvements based on member requests and feedback, we see that the number of people opting to use the new rather than the old interface is hitting an inflection point. It seems an appropriate time to make the new/responsive interface the default one for new users and non-logged in visitors.

We know that many of you will want to continue to use the current/static interface, so we have no plans to shut that down in the near future.

However, if you prefer the old interface, you should be aware that after we have made the new design the default (for new and non-logged-in visitors), the effect will be that you will be confronted with the new interface if you arrive at a KudoZ page without being logged in.

For this reason and anyway, it would be ideal if we could make the new interface even more intuitive and easier to use for everyone. To that end, if you have a minute, please let us know: what are your biggest (remaining) issues with the new interface? What can we make better?

We hope to make any 'final' (for now) changes by Thursday, for a Friday changeover.
Collapse

Yaotl Altan

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:15
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Too much wasted space on PC screens at a zoom of 125% Jan 21, 2020

Hi Henry,

I normally have your website zoomed to 125% in my Chrome browser. The new KudoZ interface needs 100% for my eyes. It looks hideous with my usual zoom factor.
That's all, really.

Cheers,
Gerard

texjax DDS PhD

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 01:15
Dutch to English
+ ...
Where is it? Jan 21, 2020

I have not participated lately in the discussion so I'm coming at this with fresh eyes. When I click on the Kudoz or any other button, I just keep seeing the same main page. That page seems well organized but it lacks color, and why am I seeing my own profile???

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Screen shot or url, Tina? Jan 21, 2020

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I have not participated lately in the discussion so I'm coming at this with fresh eyes. When I click on the Kudoz or any other button, I just keep seeing the same main page. That page seems well organized but it lacks color, and why am I seeing my own profile???

I can't tell what might be happening. Can you add a screenshot or url to your post?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Gerard! Jan 21, 2020

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Hi Henry,

I normally have your website zoomed to 125% in my Chrome browser. The new KudoZ interface needs 100% for my eyes. It looks hideous with my usual zoom factor.

We'll try to make an adjustment. Thanks!

Alison MacG
Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:15
German to English
+ ...
Discussion board Jan 21, 2020

As you know from my post on the previous thread, I am solely a desktop user and I am afraid I am never going to like the new interface with its giant fonts, excessive amounts of white space and disorganised layout (although I do appreciate some of the tweaks you have made so far, e.g. to the time stamps).

Henry Dotterer wrote:

please let us know: what are your biggest (remaining) issues with the new interface? What can we make better?

As for how the new interface functions, my biggest issue remains the fact that my chosen discussion board entry order setting of oldest to newest no longer works.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Link, Alison? Jan 21, 2020

Alison MacG wrote:

... giant fonts, excessive amounts of white space and disorganised layout...

Since you still feel that way, we'll take another look.

As for how the new interface functions, my biggest issue remains the fact that my chosen discussion board entry order setting of oldest to newest no longer works.

Hm. It is oldest to newest for me. Can you give a link to a particular question so that we can fix?

Alison MacG
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Link Jan 21, 2020

It happens with every question, but here is an example.

Old interface, with discussion entries displayed oldest to newest, as per my setting (and incidentally still with times as well as
... See more

Old interface, with discussion entries displayed oldest to newest, as per my setting (and incidentally still with times as well as dates)
https://www.proz.com/kudoz/german-to-english/social-science-sociology-ethics-etc/6757912-inhaltlich-begleiten.html?kver=old
New interface - discussion entries are now displayed newest to oldest, and only with dates (no times)
https://www.proz.com/kudoz/german-to-english/social-science-sociology-ethics-etc/6757912-inhaltlich-begleiten.html?kver=new

Hope that helps clarify.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
OK, on it Jan 21, 2020

Alison MacG wrote:

Old interface, with discussion entries displayed oldest to newest, as per my setting (and incidentally still with times as well as dates)
https://www.proz.com/kudoz/german-to-english/social-science-sociology-ethics-etc/6757912-inhaltlich-begleiten.html?kver=old
New interface - discussion entries are now displayed newest to oldest, and only with dates (no times)
https://www.proz.com/kudoz/german-to-english/social-science-sociology-ethics-etc/6757912-inhaltlich-begleiten.html?kver=new

Hope that helps clarify.

OK, we'll fix that.

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 09:15
Greek to English
Style sheets Jan 22, 2020

Henry Dotterer wrote:

This has been touched on before, but if you feel that kowtowing to mobile users is "required", why don't you have separate designs for desktop and mobile? Isn't it just a matter of setting up a different style sheet? The underlying content would be the same for both.

I don't see why you have to completely ditch the old design, which a lot of users obviously like.

texjax DDS PhD
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Cetacea
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 09:15
Greek to English
Style sheets - addendum Jan 22, 2020

The CSS Zen Garden is a good example of how just changing a style sheet can completely change the look and feel of a web page.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
OK now, Alison? Jan 22, 2020

Alison MacG wrote:

It happens with every question... discussion entries displayed oldest to newest, as per my setting...

OK now?

Do you want to see the detailed times?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestion, Philip. We're doing something like that! Jan 22, 2020

Philip Lees wrote:

The CSS Zen Garden is a good example of how just changing a style sheet can completely change the look and feel of a web page.

Thanks, Philip. CSS Zen Garden was a neat demonstration that got a good number of web development folks excited. The approach does work, to a point... but doing it in practice with complex applications is easier said than done. (It may be relevant that active development of that site stopped in 2008.)

What we are doing is similar in principle: we are going to maintain two designs, at least for some time, so that "everybody is happy". Because there is an overhead to that, it would be ideal if at some point we could merge the two designs into one, in a flexible way. "Responsive design" is the modern way to do that. I posted on this in an earlier thread:

There is sort of a way to escape that, albeit imperfectly. What is common these days, and what we are doing, is using "responsive web design". Basically, you make one design that "scales" with the client, so that it appears differently on a desktop than it does on a phone.

To see this in action, you can view a KudoZ term page on a desktop browser, and then gradually reduce the width of the browser. You will see that some items shrink, some move around, some are abbreviated, and some disappear.

If you have specific preferences, it is reasonable to propose here that a certain piece of information in a KudoZ page be made to appear on desktop, for example, without necessarily needing it to appear on a mobile phone.

(Given the apparent appreciation of the density of the old design expressed in several recent posts, I have wondered whether we should be "bringing back" some of the info we have simplified out -- of course only in the wider display mode.)

I am going to post a question related to this...

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
What other useful information should be shown? Jan 22, 2020

Many people have expressed a preference for the density of the old interface, or conversely, an undesirable feeling of "airiness" or "wasted space" when viewing the new interface on a large screen. What additional information might you like to see in KudoZ pages, when viewed on a desktop.

Alison MacG
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Yes, OK now Jan 22, 2020

Hi Henry

Yes, the entries are displaying in the correct order now - thanks very much for that.

As for the detailed times, I think they can be quite useful and I do prefer the present system where they are retained even when the discussion is more than 24 hours old. Given the choice, I would vote to keep them, but they're not essential.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are your biggest issues with the new KudoZ interface? ('Last call' for now)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »