Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Kudoz now supports image uploads
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 05:00
SITE FOUNDER
Jan 16, 2020

It is now possible to upload images when asking or answering a Kudoz question.

You will notice the image upload option when using the new (beta) Kudoz interface.

An image was included in an answer here: https://www.proz.com/kudoz/english-to-russian/engineering-industrial/6756598-lc.html

Feedback appreciated.

mk_lab
Yuliya Masalskaya (X)
Elena Feriani

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:00
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Great news! Jan 16, 2020

I really missed this feature in the past.
Let's test it.

IMG_0784

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Maybe a size restriction should be imposed? Jan 17, 2020

Maybe a clickable thumbnail?
Just a friendly suggestion. C

Christine Andersen

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Is it not minimized? Jan 17, 2020

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Maybe a clickable thumbnail?
Just a friendly suggestion. C

I think it has one. Did you see an image appear too big? (Link?) We're talking about KudoZ, not the forums.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Nice idea Jan 17, 2020

A very useful initiative. Can greatly facilitate the understanding of some answers. Thank you!

Sebastian Witte
Ivana Kahle
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Thomas Pfann
Tina Vonhof (X)
MollyRose

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Aah, sorry. Jan 17, 2020

Henry Dotterer wrote:

We're talking about KudoZ, not the forums.

I was referring to the rather large image posted by Ivana.

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
@ Cilian Jan 17, 2020

Sorry, my mistake, I'm not exactly IT savvy
Regards,
Ivana.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thumbs up Jan 17, 2020

It looks like a useful addition to the kudos section.

B D Finch

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, neilmac! Jan 18, 2020

neilmac wrote:

It looks like a useful addition to the kudos section.

Thank you. Have a nice weekend!

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
ONLY in the new design? Jan 21, 2020

I don't see the option in the current KudoZ interface. Would it be possible to include it there, too?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe. Jan 21, 2020

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

I don't see the option in the current KudoZ interface. Would it be possible to include it there, too

Hi Katalin, thanks. The question is whether or not new features will be implemented in both interfaces (as opposed to just the new, responsive one), and frankly I haven't decided yet.

What we may do is see how important features are on a case by case basis -- if enough people use a feature to justify it (and enough people are still on the old interface), we will implement the feature also in the "static" interface.

People are moving over at a pretty good rate now, though. Is there something holding you back from moving to the new design, Katalin?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Image upload has been the most requested feature for long years Jan 22, 2020

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

I don't see the option in the current KudoZ interface. Would it be possible to include it there, too

Hi Katalin, thanks. The question is whether or not new features will be implemented in both interfaces (as opposed to just the new, responsive one), and frankly I haven't decided yet.

What we may do is see how important features are on a case by case basis -- if enough people use a feature to justify it (and enough people are still on the old interface), we will implement the feature also in the "static" interface.

Henry, I am sure you know that the ability to attach/upload images in KudoZ has been requested numerous times over the years. Image uploads were added to the forums a while ago, but not KudoZ. Now, all of a sudden, it is added to KudoZ, but only to the new interface that - frankly - nobody asked for.
It is like there is this popular restaurant that people have been going for a long time, for their beef stew. For years, the patrons have been asking the cook to add a bit of paprika to the recipe - and he finally announces that he did. However, he also announces that at the same time he changed other things in the recipe: there is less meat (it is healthier that way, research shows), various types of veggies added, the order of cooking steps and their relative times were modified and the meal comes on a different plate. All in all, it is better (says the cook). So, if you want paprika in your stew, you need to order the new stew, you have no choice. For a while, you can still order the “old” stew, that has everything you needed/wanted (no paprika, though, unless you bring your own and add it at the table). He also hints that you better get used to the new stew because the old one will be taken off the menu (at some point).

People are moving over at a pretty good rate now, though. Is there something holding you back from moving to the new design, Katalin?

I see you started a separate thread about this, so it may be better if I answered there. In short, the new design is less compact and requires me to scroll a lot more to see the same info as before, and it is harder on my eyes. I brought up other specific issues in past threads, but I have not checked whether they were fixed - had no time and frankly, no will, because the overall layout takes so much effort to look at.

[Edited at 2020-01-22 14:35 GMT]

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Please can we have this on the old interface? Jan 22, 2020

I really dislike the new interface and shan't be using it because I find it harder and slower to scan the questions and impossible to quickly scan the subjects as these are no longer in a separate column. If the old interface is discontinued, I shall be drastically reducing how much I consult KudoZ.

I realised after writing the above, that I was so put off the new interface by the way the list of questions is displayed, that I didn't bother looking at how it displays the questions t
... See more
I really dislike the new interface and shan't be using it because I find it harder and slower to scan the questions and impossible to quickly scan the subjects as these are no longer in a separate column. If the old interface is discontinued, I shall be drastically reducing how much I consult KudoZ.

I realised after writing the above, that I was so put off the new interface by the way the list of questions is displayed, that I didn't bother looking at how it displays the questions themselves. I've now looked at some actual questions in the new interface and find that is an improvement on the old interface, with exception of the excessive difference in font size between the header and body text. I imagine that font size difference will be particularly problematic on mobile phones or tablets, where reducing the header size so that there's screen space for the body text will make the latter too small to read.

[Edited at 2020-01-22 16:05 GMT]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, B D! Jan 23, 2020

B D Finch wrote:

I really dislike the new interface and shan't be using it because I find it harder and slower to scan the questions and impossible to quickly scan the subjects as these are no longer in a separate column.

I'll see what we can do about that.

... I've now looked at some actual questions in the new interface and find that is an improvement on the old interface, with exception of the excessive difference in font size between the header and body text.

We did reduce it a bit, we'll reduce it further.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
We will probably implement image upload in the old interface Jan 23, 2020

As explained elsewhere, we will make the decision on whether or not to add new things to the old interface on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration the popularity of each feature and number of people using each interface.

Image upload is beginning to be used more; it has been used in connection with 20 questions so far. It looks likely that we will implement also in the old interface.

Please understand that it is better for us to make any necessary adjustments
... See more
As explained elsewhere, we will make the decision on whether or not to add new things to the old interface on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration the popularity of each feature and number of people using each interface.

Image upload is beginning to be used more; it has been used in connection with 20 questions so far. It looks likely that we will implement also in the old interface.

Please understand that it is better for us to make any necessary adjustments first in one interface, then once it is settled, to implement in the other.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz now supports image uploads

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »