SafeTex
SafeTex
France
Local time: 23:35
French to English
+ ...
The new interface is very poor Jan 15, 2020

Hello

At first, I thought it was more a question of getting used to the new version and its variants but no, I've had to sit down and try to put my finger on why I don't like it at all.

In the old version, there are tables and information of the same type appears in columns.

In the new versions, this is lost and information of the same type is scattered around and confused.

You have to jump from one entry to the next and search for this informa
... See more
Hello

At first, I thought it was more a question of getting used to the new version and its variants but no, I've had to sit down and try to put my finger on why I don't like it at all.

In the old version, there are tables and information of the same type appears in columns.

In the new versions, this is lost and information of the same type is scattered around and confused.

You have to jump from one entry to the next and search for this information whereas before, it stood out clearly.

It actually makes me physically sick (no, I'm not joking), a bit like when you have to review a source and target document side by side and your eyes have to jump from one to the other without losing your place in the middle of the documents.

I have gone back to the old version every time whatever the page.

Regards

SafeTex
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Yolanda Broad
Michele Fauble
Alison MacG
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
TurboLingvo
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:35
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, SafeTex Jan 15, 2020

SafeTex wrote:

Hello

You have to jump from one entry to the next and search for this information whereas before, it stood out clearly.

It actually makes me physically sick (no, I'm not joking), a bit like when you have to review a source and target document side by side and your eyes have to jump from one to the other without losing your place in the middle of the documents.

I have gone back to the old version every time whatever the page.

Thanks, SafeTex. I appreciate this posting, as it shows we are not quite there yet, at least not for everyone. We'll think about how to have a more organized presentation.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Which information in particular, SafeTex? Jan 15, 2020

SafeTex, if you have time and don't mind, could you maybe tell us one or two or three pieces of information that you searched for and could not immediately find?

Sandro Tomasi
Sandro Tomasi
English to Spanish
+ ...
Switch back to old KudoZ interface. Jan 15, 2020

Wanted to see new interface again, but when trying to click on "Switch back to old KudoZ interface" nothing happens. It´s like there is no hyperlink. Any suggestions?

[Edited at 2020-01-15 15:24 GMT]

sindy cremer
sindy cremer
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
comments to references Jan 15, 2020

Henri,

Comments to reference comments seem to have disappeared in the new version. 'Notes from asker' are still visible, but the comments from peers have vanished.

Comments to references may contain valuable information. I believe all reference comments should remain visible, agrees and disagrees included.

Exa
... See more
Henri,

Comments to reference comments seem to have disappeared in the new version. 'Notes from asker' are still visible, but the comments from peers have vanished.

Comments to references may contain valuable information. I believe all reference comments should remain visible, agrees and disagrees included.

Example from my language pair: https://www.proz.com/kudoz/english-to-dutch/law-general/6748517-dawn-raid-policy.html

[Edited at 2020-01-15 23:04 GMT]
Collapse

Ewa Czajkowska

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Images can now be attached to questions, answers and discussion. Jan 15, 2020

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Hey folks,

We are going to release an image upload option, at least in answers. Feedback appreciated.

It is implemented. You are invited to give it a try, and suggest any improvements.

Anne-Carine Zimmer
Anne-Carine Zimmer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
I prefer the old one Feb 5, 2020

It was easier to get an overview in the old one, I prefer the old layout

TurboLingvo
Ewa Czajkowska

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Couldn't find ... Feb 5, 2020

an OK button, or whatever, on the KudoZ "answer questions" list to switch view from one language pair to the reverse. I tried clicking several things, but none of them was it.

[Edited at 2020-02-05 22:11 GMT]

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Bottom right hand corner of question box Feb 6, 2020

MollyRose wrote:

an OK button, or whatever, on the KudoZ "answer questions" list to switch view from one language pair to the reverse. I tried clicking several things, but none of them was it.

[Edited at 2020-02-05 22:11 GMT]

There is a discreet downward-pointing arrow in the bottom right hand corner of the question ("term") box in KudoZ queries. Click on the edit question arrow. One of the options is to reverse the language pair.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Re Yolanda's reply: switching language pair on KudoZ list Feb 6, 2020

If you are talking about the actual question, I found an arrow to edit, but the only option is to change to non-Pro. It didn't give an option to reverse languages, as in, when the asker puts a Spanish term but it is under English to Spanish.

But that is not what I am talking about. I was referring to the list of questions, where we put what pair to search. When I reverse the pairs, none of the buttons I clicked led me to a list of KudoZ questions to answer, but it switched my pai
... See more
If you are talking about the actual question, I found an arrow to edit, but the only option is to change to non-Pro. It didn't give an option to reverse languages, as in, when the asker puts a Spanish term but it is under English to Spanish.

But that is not what I am talking about. I was referring to the list of questions, where we put what pair to search. When I reverse the pairs, none of the buttons I clicked led me to a list of KudoZ questions to answer, but it switched my pairs back to the order that they were before. It just says filter questions, or reset filters (neither of them leads me to the desired results), or how many to show per page.

Added a few minutes later: I tried it again and clicked on Filter Questions again, and got the same screen I always got. But I scrolled down and, lo and behold, it had reversed the language pair! I just needed to scroll down to see them, but I did not know that. It is not intuitive.

[Edited at 2020-02-06 19:55 GMT]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad

Cedric Randolph
Cedric Randolph  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nice interface but Non-pro vote is missing Mar 1, 2020

We need to be able to distinguish questions that are basically superfluous through voting them non-pro. Please include this in the new interface.

TurboLingvo
TurboLingvo
United States
Member (1970)
Why to care for Google? Mar 16, 2020

Why should you care for the Google rules? They are ad related, but you are not selling any goods. Proz will remain web-site No.1 for translators whether Google likes its design or not. The old design is convenient and user friendly, so why should you replace it with these long pages, where you never know, where exactly you are, what to tap/click and what all these nice pics mean?

IMHO, improvement for the sake of improvement are a bad idea - like MS Office 2007 UI - it looks nice, b
... See more
Why should you care for the Google rules? They are ad related, but you are not selling any goods. Proz will remain web-site No.1 for translators whether Google likes its design or not. The old design is convenient and user friendly, so why should you replace it with these long pages, where you never know, where exactly you are, what to tap/click and what all these nice pics mean?

IMHO, improvement for the sake of improvement are a bad idea - like MS Office 2007 UI - it looks nice, but requires 2-3 times more clicks to use features that were readily available in Office 2003. It is all the same with the new Proz design.
Collapse

Alice Crisan
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:35
Danish to English
+ ...
Google Mar 16, 2020

Google penalises sites without mobile-friendly versions of their pages in mobile search results. So it's more difficult to be found on a mobile phone if a site only has a legacy design. Proz would know which percentage of their users use mobile phones.

Strangely enough, Google doesn't seem to penalise sites that no longer have desktop-friendly designs in desktop search results, so the general usability of desktop sites has been steadily declining for some years now, which is a real
... See more
Google penalises sites without mobile-friendly versions of their pages in mobile search results. So it's more difficult to be found on a mobile phone if a site only has a legacy design. Proz would know which percentage of their users use mobile phones.

Strangely enough, Google doesn't seem to penalise sites that no longer have desktop-friendly designs in desktop search results, so the general usability of desktop sites has been steadily declining for some years now, which is a real nuisance for those of us who spend 99% of our screen time on desktops or laptops.

Google itself dumbed down its Chrome bookmark manager so much that I had to stop using it and move hundreds of bookmarks into my file structure as shortcuts, and now they are showing shortened URLs in Chrome, which is another nuisance. Microsoft too is slowly dumbing down its Office UI. Desktop users are under attack from the great and good in the tech industry.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Katalin Szilárd
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 00:35
English to Russian
A general closing note Mar 20, 2020

It would be nice to have a general closing note, because presently you have to thank each answerer separately, which is inconvenient, especially with many answers, but skipping this part is impolite. (Not for everyone active on Proz though.)

Yolanda Broad

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Nice idea, kd42! Mar 27, 2020

It would be nice to have a general closing note, because presently you have to thank each answerer separately, which is inconvenient, especially with many answers, but skipping this part is impolite. (Not for everyone active on Proz though.)

Nice idea! We'll do that... at some point...

Yolanda Broad

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ - new interface available for testing and feedback

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »