"The Asker chose to address the question to Proz.com members only." Is this a new option?
Thread poster: IrinaN
IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 17:21
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 9, 2019

I wanted to agree with a colleague but couldn't find the option.

The Asker chose to address the question to Proz.com members only. I understand that I am just a "user" aka a non-paying member, so I "do not meet the criteria". Apparently, that prevents me from agreeing too, right?

Just curious.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2020-01-07 15:45 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 23:21
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I don't think there is such an option Oct 11, 2019

IrinaN wrote:

The Asker chose to address the question to Proz.com members only. I understand that I am just a "user" aka a non-paying member, so I "do not meet the criteria". Apparently, that prevents me from agreeing too, right?

Just curious.

Hi IrinaN,

You wrote question, so I assume you meant Kudoz.
As far as I know in Kudoz you don't have to be a subscriber to send an Agree.

Bests,
Katalin

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Not sure when it started, but yes, Askers can opt to block lowly non-payers from posting an agree Oct 11, 2019

IrinaN wrote:

Just curious.

We are far away from the Proz/Kudoz of yore, when everyone was welcome and no distinction was made between payers and non-payers. Everyone who signed up on Proz was a 'member'. Some of us paid because we thought it would help keep the site afloat (we became 'Platinum' members at some point). Some of the very best Kudoz answerers never paid at all but their wonderful contributions still help people who bother to look in the Kudoz glossary.
Nowadays non-payers are regarded as second-class citizens and are reminded of their lowly status whenever there is an opportunity to do so. Job posters, Kudoz-askers are all given the option to block non-payers from applying or answering/posting peer comments. Personally I am now used to this and often find it more amusing than annoying or insulting.

[Edited at 2019-10-11 09:17 GMT]

Rachel Fell
Jennifer White
IrinaN
Germaine
Ivana UK
Christine Andersen
Thayenga

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 23:21
English to Hungarian
+ ...
This must be a new "feature" Oct 11, 2019

writeaway wrote:

IrinaN wrote:

Just curious.

We are far away from the Proz/Kudoz of yore, when everyone was welcome and no distinction was made between payers and non-payers. Everyone who signed up on Proz was a 'member'. Some of us paid because we thought it would help keep the site afloat (we became 'Platinum' members at some point). Some of the very best Kudoz answerers never paid at all but their wonderful contributions still help people who bother to look in the Kudoz glossary.
Nowadays non-payers are regarded as second-class citizens and are reminded of their lowly status whenever there is an opportunity to do so. Job posters, Kudoz-askers are all given the option to block non-payers from applying or answering/posting peer comments. Personally I am now used to this and often find it more amusing than annoying or insulting.

[Edited at 2019-10-11 09:17 GMT]

I was not aware of that...
But why an asker would choose this option?
I mean an asker asks a question, her/his goal is to find the best answer for his/her question.
Giving the best answer does not depend on whether somebody is a subscriber or not....

[Edited at 2019-10-11 10:42 GMT]

Rachel Fell
Jennifer White
IrinaN
writeaway
Germaine
Daryo

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 17:21
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It seems that the askers can make honest mistakes Oct 11, 2019

On the premise that the best are members and vice versa, members are the best thus the goal of getting best answers and filtering the incompetent will be achieved.

Quite a misconception, considering the way everything works in real time, like writeaway explained.

At least, if I were to chose to ask members only, I wouldn't have known that one entails the other.

[Edited at 2019-10-11 12:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-10-11 13:13 GMT]

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:21
English to French
+ ...
The only way Oct 11, 2019

IrinaN wrote:

You cannot agree (or disagree) to an answer, but you still can post a comment in the discussion box.

writeaway

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:21
Serbian to English
+ ...
Or you can just ignore completely Jun 6, 2022

Germaine wrote:

IrinaN wrote:

You cannot agree (or disagree) to an answer, but you still can post a comment in the discussion box.

Or you can just ignore completely the question, and revisit it few days later to check if restricting answers to "paying members only" has resulted in better than average answers or in more entertaining than average wild guesses ...

P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"The Asker chose to address the question to Proz.com members only." Is this a new option?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »