Thread poster: Mark Robertson
Mark Robertson
Mark Robertson
Local time: 07:31
Member (2010)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2019

I have noted that there are some unresponsive KudoZ askers, who are unidentified and neither ProZ members nor apparently fluent in the target language of their question. I have the impression that sometimes we may not be helping colleagues but rather be providing free-of-charge support for rough and ready post-editing of MT by non-translators. Should KudoZ askers at least be asked to identify themselves?

neilmac
Morano El-Kholy

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
This is nothing new and really isn't a problem imo Jun 17, 2019

MARK ROBERTSON wrote:

I have noted that there are some unresponsive KudoZ askers, who are unidentified and neither ProZ members nor apparently fluent in the target language of their question. I have the impression that sometimes we may not be helping colleagues but rather be providing free-of-charge support for rough and ready post-editing of MT by non-translators. Should KudoZ askers at least be asked to identify themselves?

Afaik, there have always been non-logged in visitors who ask the occasional question, although like all in all of Kudoz, there are a few who do abuse the system.
I don't see how MT enters into it. MT people don't strike me as those who go the extra mile for accuracy. And not being fluent in the target language (or source language for that matter) is most definitely not limited to unidentified askers. Imo the numbers of 'visitors' hasn't really changed.
My personal favourites are people who are actually signed up on Proz who post Kudoz questions as non-logged in visitors so their profile page shows a record of 00 questions asked.

Yolanda Broad
Yvonne Gallagher

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Really? Jun 17, 2019

writeaway wrote:
My personal favourites are people who are actually signed up on Proz who post Kudoz questions as non-logged in visitors so their profile page shows a record of 00 questions asked.

I didn't know that was even possible!

ahartje

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Me neither Jun 17, 2019

Teresa Borges wrote:

writeaway wrote:

And do they use a false name? The mind boggles...

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:31
French to English
. Jun 17, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

writeaway wrote:

How can you even tell?

Elizabeth Tamblin

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
You can tell..... Jun 17, 2019

Kay Denney wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

How can you even tell?

When you see non-logged in visitor with a name that sounds familiar and you check on Google and find their actual Proz profile

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unresponsive KudoZ askers that are non-ProZ or visitors

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »