Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:03
French to English
? Apr 19, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Chris S wrote:

As a non-paying member, it makes no difference how many points I acquire, or what points ratio I hit, which maybe gives me a different perspective.

I view KudoZ mainly as a form of entertainment. Most terms have already been answered. So most of the fun comes from the stupid questions, the stupid answers, the stupid spats. It’s quality people watching. It’s like the forums only better. Long may it continue!

So you would like it to carry on as it is? Excellent!

Perhaps we could just rename it to Real Translation Nightmares or something like that, then. Problem solved.

Are you saying KudoZ is a waste of time, then? Apart from as entertainment value?

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
. Apr 19, 2019

Wish I could delete my posts. It looks like I care too much!

Boris Shapiro
Boris Shapiro
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:03
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right Apr 19, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Boris Shapiro wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

When I use the Term Search feature, I like to see a range of suggestions. I don't always choose the term that was awarded points, because one of the other suggested terms might be more suitable in the context.

Just because a term is not "the winner" does not mean it is an invalid or a bad suggestion. Often there are several valid suggestions, and it would be unfair to penalise people who are being very helpful to their colleagues be devaluing their contributions.

What you're describing cannot possibly be the case when a person has *thousands* of answers to his name, of which repeatedly only a fraction gets accepted as useful.

Perhaps you could go into a little more detail?

Remember that people who contribute suggestions state their "confidence level" as well, so the system encourages people to contribute ideas that may or may not be useful, secure in the knowledge that their peers will let them know if they are completely on the wrong track.

You have a point, Elizabeth. Being able to post a low confidence answer does seem to welcome more random input.

However, if that input is not upvoted (or, by the same token, if a habitually overconfident member has his answers downvoted) and, consequently, not chosen as helpful, with hundreds of iterations that does begin to reflect the overall quality of the person's answers, don't you think? Regardless of the fact he was 'encouraged' to voice his opinions on matters beyond his expertise.

And if someone's peers repeatedly show him he's on the wrong track, and yet he persists in making hundreds and hundreds of, in effect, useless suggestions - that ought to say something about him, right?

I simply cannot imagine a valid reason for someone wasting his time giving thousands of KudoZ answers of such a doubtful usefulness that only, let's say, 1 out of 10 gets selected. Occasional mistakes, close seconds, or even 'tit for tat' cannot possibly affect a sample of that size!

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
. Apr 20, 2019

Boris Shapiro wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Boris Shapiro wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

When I use the Term Search feature, I like to see a range of suggestions. I don't always choose the term that was awarded points, because one of the other suggested terms might be more suitable in the context.

Just because a term is not "the winner" does not mean it is an invalid or a bad suggestion. Often there are several valid suggestions, and it would be unfair to penalise people who are being very helpful to their colleagues be devaluing their contributions.

What you're describing cannot possibly be the case when a person has *thousands* of answers to his name, of which repeatedly only a fraction gets accepted as useful.

Perhaps you could go into a little more detail?

Remember that people who contribute suggestions state their "confidence level" as well, so the system encourages people to contribute ideas that may or may not be useful, secure in the knowledge that their peers will let them know if they are completely on the wrong track.

You have a point, Elizabeth. Being able to post a low confidence answer does seem to welcome more random input.

However, if that input is not upvoted (or, by the same token, if a habitually overconfident member has his answers downvoted) and, consequently, not chosen as helpful, with hundreds of iterations that does begin to reflect the overall quality of the person's answers, don't you think? Regardless of the fact he was 'encouraged' to voice his opinions on matters beyond his expertise.

And if someone's peers repeatedly show him he's on the wrong track, and yet he persists in making hundreds and hundreds of, in effect, useless suggestions - that ought to say something about him, right?

I simply cannot imagine a valid reason for someone wasting his time giving thousands of KudoZ answers of such a doubtful usefulness that only, let's say, 1 out of 10 gets selected. Occasional mistakes, close seconds, or even 'tit for tat' cannot possibly affect a sample of that size!

Yes, I understand.

The only other thing I can add is that when we become members of this site, particularly those who are new to the world of translation, we are encouraged (via videos, etc.) to gain KudoZ points as a way of becoming more visible to potenital clients. That is what I did, and I think that is what helped me find an agency in the early days. It is also the thing that keeps me paying my membership fees. I will reconsider that, though, at the end of this year.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feature suggestion: Individual KudoZ efficiency metric

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »