Thread poster: Luisa Rodríguez
Luisa Rodríguez
Luisa Rodríguez
Guatemala
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 14, 2019

Hello colleagues!
Have you ever experienced an inconvenience with your dressing or outfit during an interpretation? Any experience that you could share?

Paweł Hamerski (X)
Paweł Hamerski (X)
Local time: 00:40
English to Polish
+ ...
I am usuallly the best dressed one at the event (at the notary's mostly) Mar 15, 2019

so I try to curb my dress code

Tom in London

Joanna Rączka
Joanna Rączka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:40
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
high heels in sand Mar 15, 2019

Yes, I normally wear business attire. So, when the P.O. said "a meeting about commissioning a solar power plant", I put on a business suit, with a skirt and high heels. It turned out not a meeting, but field work - starting up the plant. The commissioning engineers wore dungarees, the solar plant was planted on sand, so I stood all day dug with my high heels in sand, in this skirt and jacket looking really odd. And it was so uncomfortable!

Liviu-Lee Roth
Diana Coada (X)
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Luisa Rodríguez
Luisa Rodríguez
Guatemala
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dressing codes Mar 15, 2019

Any lesson learnt from this anecdote?

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 18:40
English to Russian
+ ...
It's great to drive to the assignments Mar 18, 2019

Which is always the case in the US unless you fly but then a rental car does the same.

Always high heels and suit/pants/blouse/jacket on and... a spare blouse and a jacket in case of spilled coffee on the hanger plus sneakers, steel-toe boots, socks, a wind-breaker, eye protection and a sun hat/cap in the trunk. The set less the first two items resides in my trunk permanently. Hard hats are usually provided by the client:-). That way you are always ready to move from a conference ro
... See more
Which is always the case in the US unless you fly but then a rental car does the same.

Always high heels and suit/pants/blouse/jacket on and... a spare blouse and a jacket in case of spilled coffee on the hanger plus sneakers, steel-toe boots, socks, a wind-breaker, eye protection and a sun hat/cap in the trunk. The set less the first two items resides in my trunk permanently. Hard hats are usually provided by the client:-). That way you are always ready to move from a conference room to an unexpected field trip. Usually it's scheduled in advance but surprises happen.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dressing codes

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »