Initial experiences with agencies
Thread poster: David Jones
Mohamad Alayoubi
Mohamad Alayoubi
Lebanon
Local time: 13:39
English to Arabic
Never give up Dec 7, 2020

I am not the most experienced translator in the world , but one thing for certain , never give up , i was asking here on proz how can i find jobs , now i can't find time for myself from the amount of work i have , my advice is keep applying for any agency that stumble upon you and register in all translation site jobs available , and you will eventually get your chance .

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

David Jones
David Jones  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 19:39
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all very much Dec 8, 2020

Folks, that was so much useful information. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.
I'm in a really good position right now, I have a really decent job that I'm not in a rush to leave, but I am planning my next step so hearing that this could take a few more years to set up is very useful.

Dan Lucas

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
Job Dec 8, 2020

Hi David,

Glad to hear you have a good job, that is a great position to be in. I'm wondering whether you could make more of your work experience in your profile and marketing documents. Real-world experience can be very valuable (even if it doesn't seem particularly high-flying). What is it you do, if you don't mind me asking?

Rachel

Dan Lucas
Kay Denney
Elena Feriani

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 12:39
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes and no, partially agree. Dec 8, 2020

Chris S wrote:
In a directory or an agency database, you are just another name. If you meet someone face to face, you are a person.

That depends on type of client, type of project, industry etc. Meeting face to face is not always super relevant for translators, and it's a very high-paced industry. Fast projects, fast decisions, fast turnarounds.

Meeting face to face may be more relevant for interpreters, reporters, presenters, or any other "genres" where your performance is actually executed in person. If I am hiring a translator, I need to see their work, their samples, writing style. I also want to see their reactivity during the project, punctuality, conduct, ethics, approach to projects, etc. (which will entirely be carried out in writing). Seeing them is nice, but not as relevant.

As an example, I met some people in person, and they made a great impression (in person). However, during the project they failed miserably. And vice versa, some people I never met in person and we have been collaborating professionally for years, with great results and a feeling of accomplishment.

So yes, to add a human touch, it's nice to meet in person, it will certainly add a new dimension and layer to the collaboration. But it's not always a recipe for success when it comes to projects.

[Edited at 2020-12-08 12:44 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Jorge Payan
Adieu

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Impressions Dec 8, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:
So yes, to add a human touch, it's nice to meet in person, it will certainly add a new dimension and layer to the collaboration. But it's not always a recipe for success when it comes to projects.

I can certainly see why that might be your experience, 5B, but I did say you needed a sprinkling of social skills.

David Jones
Taiwan
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too much good advice for one sitting Feb 17, 2021

I wanted to revisit this question because I was bombarded with good advice for which I would like to say another big thank you to everyone. I have just sent my third invoice for a translation project and am feeling very happy and grateful for all of the support from this forum.

There was so much good advice shared and I just wish there was the time to implement it all as quickly as I'd like! I made a list and have been slowly working my way through it all whilst also slogging throug
... See more
I wanted to revisit this question because I was bombarded with good advice for which I would like to say another big thank you to everyone. I have just sent my third invoice for a translation project and am feeling very happy and grateful for all of the support from this forum.

There was so much good advice shared and I just wish there was the time to implement it all as quickly as I'd like! I made a list and have been slowly working my way through it all whilst also slogging through the day job and translating on the side. At some point I promised myself I'd start running again... but that fell down the priority list...

Fingers crossed the work keeps flowing into 2021.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Dan Lucas
Peter Shortall

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:39
English to Turkish
Good luck Feb 17, 2021

David Jones wrote:

There was so much good advice shared and I just wish there was the time to implement it all as quickly as I'd like! I made a list and have been slowly working my way through it all whilst also slogging through the day job and translating on the side. At some point I promised myself I'd start running again... but that fell down the priority list...

Fingers crossed the work keeps flowing into 2021.

What is your day job?

David Jones
Taiwan
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Teaching Feb 17, 2021

English teaching

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Initial experiences with agencies

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »