Basel Qarabash
Syria
Local time: 15:46
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree. Jun 6, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

If you're in your 5th year of studying medicine, then presumably you already have a bachelor's degree already (even though it is not a translation degree).

Not sure what you mean by bachelor's degree, I think it means graduating degree right? If so then I don't have one, I only have high school certificate (the one that allows me to enter college).

I suggest that you fix the punctuation and capitalization errors in your ProZ.com profile page and on your CV.

Totally agreed, I fixed everything (I hope).

(e.g. what is a "graduation letter", especially since you haven't graduated?).

Yeah in Syria we do our graduation letter in 5th year but we graduate after finishing 6th year (yeah stupid system and nobody knows for sure why is it like this)(especially medicine)

Basel Qarabash
Basel Qarabash
Syria
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some examples of sanctions effects. Jun 6, 2019

Amel Abdullah wrote:

Can you explain here how the sanctions limit you?

In many ways , for example Fiverr, Guru, Upwork, all of them are blocked here and I can't use them without vpn (and I think those are the most famous freelance platforms right?)
Another example is American translation agencies, due to American sanctions they can't risk employing me.
Last example, payment methods: there's absolutely no way to send money to syria (beside something called hawala) and I plan to use my friend's PayPal in Germany and he'll send me via "hawala"

Second, even though you have not graduated yet, your medical education is a plus. As others have explained, agencies do not generally require a degree in translation. They will care about your knowledge and ability to translate. However, you need to present yourself with more confidence and professionalism to get your foot in the door.

Well if I don't have a proof of my experience and the agency doesn't send a translation test, how can they know that I'm actually good and hire me?

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:46
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Offer to do a test when you contact the agency Jun 6, 2019

Basel Qarabash wrote:

Well if I don't have a proof of my experience and the agency doesn't send a translation test, how can they know that I'm actually good and hire me?

You could offer to do a text, or perhaps find some texts to translate that are in the public domain or not confidential, and prepare samples in a portfolio. If they are well translated, those are often as convincing as diplomas and certificates.

In general, when you are freelancing, you are not an employee, you are a business partner. It is not always easy as a beginner, but if you can be pro-active and self confident, it works in your favour. Don't just wait for them to ask what you have to offer, tell them as much as you can directly!

In Europe, many universities award a bachelor degree after three or four years of training, even if students need to continue to a higher level, and studies are not completed without a Master's degree.
Medical degrees are different, and do not necessarily award a first degree at bachelor level. However, in your fifth year you have passed that stage and are well on your way.
So that is something else you can use to boost your confidence.

Basel Qarabash
Rachel Waddington

Matthias Hirsh
Matthias Hirsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:46
Japanese to English
Can definitely work without translation-specific degree Jun 6, 2019

Basel Qarabash wrote:

Hi, I'm a student in medicine at my 5th year, I don't have translation certificates whatsoever, however, I do have 3 years experience in subtitles translation as a part time job.
My question is:
Most agencies require translation degree in order to hire translators, isn't there an agency that doesn't require this? Because I really think that I'm qualified to translate.
Thank you.

There are TONS of agencies that do not require M.A.s or PhDs in translation. However, of those, the reputable ones will usually expect that you have a B.A. or M.A. in your second language/the language you translate out of and/or a certification from a test that measures how well you understand that language, like the TOEFL.

Jorge Payan

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
@Basel Jun 7, 2019

Another example is American translation agencies, due to American sanctions they can't risk employing me.
Last example, payment methods: there's absolutely no way to send money to syria (beside something called hawala) and I plan to use my friend's PayPal in Germany and he'll send me via "hawala"

What about European agencies? Genuine question since I honestly don't know. Are companies in Europe able to send transfers to Syria without problems? What about other areas of the world, including the Arab countries?

Many agencies will ask you to do a small test. If you are open to this, then you will be able to demonstrate your skills.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jun 7, 2019

Basel Qarabash wrote:

That's what the sample translations in your Proz profile are for! When bidding on jobs here I always show the link to my profile and point clients to the sample in their field (since I have several fields).

I'd just like to add that as a PM, I always preferred a translator with a background in medicine, law or engineering over a translator with a degree in translation. Because when I had to proofread the medical legal or engineering translations, it was easier for me to brush up clumsy phrasing than check up on the jargon. So I much preferred translators who knew their stuff regarding the terminology.

Christine Andersen

Basel Qarabash
Basel Qarabash
Syria
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Amel Jun 7, 2019

Amel Abdullah wrote:

What about European agencies? Genuine question since I honestly don't know. Are companies in Europe able to send transfers to Syria without problems? What about other areas of the world, including the Arab countries?

I think the European sanctions are less strict and I think they are able to hire a Syrian citizen, however, they also can't send payments to Syria.

Regarding the other areas of the world, yeah Basically only America and the EU have sanctions against us, but let's face it, they have most of the agencies and they offer better rates.

Note: I could work here in Syria or in a neighbor country but the rates are very low that's why I want a European or American agency. I used to translate subtitles and captioning the videos (basically all the subtitles process), and I was getting paid 19$ per video hour!

[Edited at 2019-06-07 09:04 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jun 7, 2019

Basel Qarabash wrote:

Note: I could work here in Syria or in a neighbor country but the rates are very low that's why I want a European or American agencies. I used to translate subtitles and captioning the videos (basically all the subtitles process), and I was getting paid 19$ per video hour!

even per hour that would be low, let alone per video hour!

Basel Qarabash

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Subtitling Jun 7, 2019

Regarding the other areas of the world, yeah Basically only America and the EU have sanctions against us, but let's face it, they have most of the agencies and they offer better rates.

Note: I could work here in Syria or in a neighbor country but the rates are very low that's why I want a European or American agency. I used to translate subtitles and captioning the videos (basically all the subtitles process), and I was getting paid 19$ per video hour!

Subtitling is notoriously underpaid, so you may have better luck with other kinds of translation. Fortunately for you, medical translation commands much higher rates.

Rates vary greatly in the Arab world depending on the standard of living in each country. Some entities in the Gulf region in particular pay better than others.

Basel Qarabash

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation jobs for college student

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »