Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:11
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 25, 2019

When I use Asul as font in certain languages, some letters are rendered in Cambria. Example:

Untitled-1

The letters ě ů ž (among others) are turned to Cambria. Is there a way to keep everything in Asul?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Which program, which operating system? Jan 25, 2019

Daniel Frisano wrote:
When I use Asul as font in certain languages, some letters are rendered in Cambria.

Which program, which operating system?

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jan 25, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Which program, which operating system?

MS Word 2016, Windows 10.

Same thing happens in OpenOffice, Ubuntu.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Fallback Jan 25, 2019

Daniel Frisano wrote:
When I use Asul as font in certain languages, some letters are rendered in Cambria. The letters ě ů ž (among others) are turned to Cambria. Is there a way to keep everything in Asul?

I downloaded a font named Asul and opened it in a font editor to see what characters are available in it. The three characters you're hoping to see, are not present in Asul. This means that your text editor can't display them in Asul. Different text editors do different things when this happens (some show only a small square or a question mark instead of the unknown character), but most word processors and browsers fall back to a default font, which in your case appears to be Cambria.

Fontforge (freeware) shows that the three characters you're looking for, do not have glyphs in Asul:

Capture-1

What you can do, is change the default font of your document to something more similar to Asul, so that the word processor falls back to that font.

==

How important is it to you to use Asul? You could always try to identify which characters are missing, and then create them in a font editor using copy/paste. It's not difficult, but font editors that output working fonts tend to be expensive (in the adjusted font that I created using the freeware FontForge, only ů works).

[Edited at 2019-01-25 17:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Avoiding font replacement

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »