Thread poster: veratek
veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 20:55
French to English
+ ...
Sep 24, 2008

Hi, I want to backup all the emails I have on my Gmail account - does anyone know how it can be done?

Please note, I want to backup my online Gmail account to my local hard drive.

Thanks,
Vera

TUSHAR AGRAWAL
sachin12singh

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 01:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Straightforward Sep 24, 2008

Create a new POP3 account in any desktop email client (Outlook, Thunderbird...), enable POP3 for all messages in GMail and download them (might take a while).

Joanne smith (X)

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:55
Italian to English
+ ...
Thunderbird/other email lient Sep 24, 2008

I personally use Thunderbird and have set up all my email accounts to use Imap if available (Google offers this). Then I set the account to synchronize folders for offline use. But pretty much any modern email client can handle that.

I think Imap is quite useful, as your folder structure remains, whether online or offline.

R.
==

[Edited at 2008-09-24 19:45]

veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 20:55
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IMAP? Sep 25, 2008

Hi, thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I've just finished downloading and installing Thunderbird, and I am now downloading the emails from my first gmail account. When Thunderbird was executed, it asked me what kind of account I wanted to create and I just clicked on googlemail, then it didn't ask any more questions.

My question is: do I need to do anything further for this IMAP setting? Or is it now all set?

Tks,
Vera

Peter James
Peter James
United States
RE:How can I backup my Gmail account? Feb 6, 2019

Hello,

I am here to suggest you some solution as if you a Mac user then it's little different to take backup of your Gmail Account in Windows OS. You can go for the manual method but according I always trust some kind of tools to do these works. I would like to suggest you Mailvita Gmail Backup for Mac application which can help you out in your problem to take backup in Mac OS. This software supports in all updated versions of Mac OS X, and simple to use without any problem.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 00:55
English to German
Um ... Feb 7, 2019

veratek wrote:
My question is: do I need to do anything further for this IMAP setting? Or is it now all set?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/switch-pop-imap-account

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Currently... Feb 7, 2019

veratek wrote:
I want to backup all the emails I have on my Gmail account.

Currently, you can download your entire Gmail mailbox as a single MBOX file by visiting the TakeOut site while you're logged in to your Google account. Choose "Select None" and then scroll down to "Mail" and select it. Then click Next and follow the instructions. Google will generate the MBOX file for you and send you an e-mail with a download link when it's ready (it can take a few days to be generated). The TakeOut service is the way to download your Google+ content, too (since Google is closing down Google+ soon).

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:55
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
IMAP doesn't backup Feb 7, 2019

veratek wrote:

Hi, thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I've just finished downloading and installing Thunderbird, and I am now downloading the emails from my first gmail account. When Thunderbird was executed, it asked me what kind of account I wanted to create and I just clicked on googlemail, then it didn't ask any more questions.

Tks,
Vera

Bear in mind that an IMAP account on an email client such as Thunderbird or Outlook is not a backup or copy of the emails on the server, it is a reflection of what is on the server. If an email disappears from the server it will disappear from the IMAP account on the client as well.

To create a copy of what is on the server (which can be a backup) you need to use POP, not IMAP. Then the emails are downloaded and will stay on your computer even if they disappear from the server.

[Edited at 2019-02-07 19:27 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Or, download with IMAP and save elsewhere Feb 8, 2019

John Fossey wrote:
Bear in mind that an IMAP account on an email client such as Thunderbird or Outlook is not a backup or copy of the emails on the server, it is a reflection of what is on the server. If an email disappears from the server it will disappear from the IMAP account on the client as well.

Or, configure your Thunderbird for IMAP, create a "local folder", and then select and copy all e-mails from the IMAP folder(s) to the local folder. This will force Thunderbird to download the entire message (not just the header), but allow you to keep a local copy of your mails. This gives you all the advantages of IMAP. When doing this, invest in a duplicate remover extension to remove duplicate mails in the local folder if and when you accidentally copy a mail more than once. Be careful not to "move" the mails to the local folder, because then they will be removed from your Gmail account.

John Fossey

james clark (X)
james clark (X)
Virgin Islands (U.S.)
How can I backup my Gmail account ? Feb 13, 2019

there is a software that easily backup your Gmail account try this software I read about this utility that ware create backup easily of your account in a few steps they require the password or username the tool is providing trial version and in this tool have the option to backup to PST, MSG, EML, EMlx, and MBOX file format if want to backup oth... See more
there is a software that easily backup your Gmail account try this software I read about this utility that ware create backup easily of your account in a few steps they require the password or username the tool is providing trial version and in this tool have the option to backup to PST, MSG, EML, EMlx, and MBOX file format if want to backup other formats . For more detail visit here: http://www.osttopstapp.com/gmail-backup.htmlCollapse

Mark dc (X)
Mark dc (X)
India
Gmail Backup Nov 11, 2019

Hi,
You can use some of the free utilities such as Google takeout service.
It is a free utility that you can use easily.

Joanne smith (X)
watsonroger9 (X)

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I backup my Gmail account?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »