Strana na temi:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Corona quarantine diary
Objavljivač niti: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Španija
Local time: 09:08
španski na engleski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
The pics bit is on page 94 Dec 6, 2020

In the Penguin version, at least. The BBC cut it out in the TV drama because it was aired early evening, well before the watershed.

P.L.F.Persio
Chris S
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

P.L.F.Persio  Identity Verified
Holandija
Član (2010)
engleski na italijanski
+ ...
Chiaroscuro Dec 7, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

In the Penguin version, at least. The BBC cut it out in the TV drama because it was aired early evening, well before the watershed.

The First edition features a charcoal drawing, skillfully portraying Mr Darcy's glory in all its pensive beauty.

Mervyn Henderson
Chris S
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Španija
španski na engleski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
Accompanying text Dec 7, 2020

No drawing more erotic than a charcoal drawing, right? Yummy. But PLF forgot to mention the accompanying text, "Please accept the attached as a token of my esteem. Compare with Mr Collins's. You shall surely agree there is no contest. Must needs embarrassing when I dance, however, which is why I refused at the ball. I trust your mother is well?"

[Edited at 2020-12-07 06:39 GMT]

P.L.F.Persio
Chris S
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Chris S  Identity Verified
Velika Britanija
švedski na engleski
+ ...
Sorry Dec 7, 2020

Sorry to have dragged this thread down a level or two, but before I go I do just have to commend Percy on her choice of adjective:

P.L.F.Persio wrote:
pensive beauty

Lol. Brilliant!

Mervyn Henderson
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Holandija
Član (2010)
engleski na italijanski
+ ...
Don't be sorry, Chris. Dec 7, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Sorry to have dragged this thread down a level or two

[/quote]

What you've actually done, has been to bring this thread up to new heights of literary sophistication by the medium of Carnivalisation, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivalesque

Carnivalesque is a literary mode that subverts and liberates the assumptions of the dominant style or atmosphere through humor and chaos. It originated as "carnival" in Mikhail Bakhtin's Problems of Dostoevsky's Poetics and was further developed in Rabelais and His World. [...]

Bakhtin's four categories of the carnival sense of the world:

Familiar and free interaction between people: carnival often brought the unlikeliest of people together and encouraged the interaction and free expression of themselves in unity.
Eccentric behaviour: unacceptable behaviour is welcomed and accepted in carnival, and one's natural behaviour can be revealed without consequences.
Carnivalistic mésalliances: the familiar and free format of carnival allows everything that may normally be separated to reunite — Heaven and Hell, the young and the old, etc.
Profanation: in carnival, the strict rules of piety and respect for official notions of the 'sacred' are stripped of their power — blasphemy, obscenity, debasings, 'bringings down to earth', celebration rather than condemnation of the earthly and body-based.

[Edited at 2020-12-07 09:04 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson
Zibow Retailleau
Chris S
expressisverbis

Španija
španski na engleski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
Carnivalesque Dec 7, 2020

Well, thanks for that, PLF. What a relief. Chris can carry on as normal, in that case. I know I intend to. Naturally I baulk at profanation, however, as most people here are aware.

P.L.F.Persio
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Španija
španski na engleski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
Mid-holiday Dec 7, 2020

Here we are on 7 December. The anniversary of Thomas De Quincey's death. Not that this has anything to do with it, but I just happened to read it yesterday at the beginning of his "Confessions ..." book. We have the Immaculate Virgin's day tomorrow, 8 December, and Constitution Day was yesterday.

On which subject, I was moved to see the politicians all working hard listening to speeches on a Sunday, too. There they were, all lined up outside the Parliament, two lions standing guard
... See more
Here we are on 7 December. The anniversary of Thomas De Quincey's death. Not that this has anything to do with it, but I just happened to read it yesterday at the beginning of his "Confessions ..." book. We have the Immaculate Virgin's day tomorrow, 8 December, and Constitution Day was yesterday.

On which subject, I was moved to see the politicians all working hard listening to speeches on a Sunday, too. There they were, all lined up outside the Parliament, two lions standing guard on either side, with one paw on their balls. Not real lions, of course. Real lions wouldn't sit around all day long pawing themselves. They have better things to do. Killing other animals, mostly.

Speaker Meritxell Batet droned a rousing, memorable speech on the Spanish Constitution on a windy day in Madrid as the MPs looked on: " .... guarantor of the values we hold most dear ... inalienable rights of one and all ... these bonds that cannot be broken asunder ... liberty, equality, fraternity ..." Well, actually, I didn't check it out, but I'm pretty sure that's what she said.

[Edited at 2020-12-07 10:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-12-07 10:38 GMT]
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
Chris S
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

Velika Britanija
švedski na engleski
+ ...
Wow Dec 7, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:
What you've actually done, has been to bring this thread up to new heights of literary sophistication by the medium of Carnivalisation, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivalesque

Carnivalesque is a literary mode that subverts and liberates the assumptions of the dominant style or atmosphere through humor and chaos. It originated as "carnival" in Mikhail Bakhtin's Problems of Dostoevsky's Poetics and was further developed in Rabelais and His World.

It never ceases to amaze me how much other people know about stuff. I feel so inadequate now.

Which is a great opening for me to ask about today’s big issue chez moi:

Are data singular or plural these days?

(Oops, intended as an open question, but I might just have inadvertently given away my preference there🙄)

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Španija
španski na engleski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
Data Dec 7, 2020

Plural, I'd say too, but I do see them/it written in singular a lot these days. We might have to call in the Linguistic Avenger on this one, emerging from a telephone box on Streatham High Street in his red and blue suit with "LA" on it, and up, up and away, as little boys and girls point up at the sky and shriek, "What is it, mummy? Is it a bird? Is it a plane?", and mummy sighs in starry-eyed admiration, and says, "No, darling, that's the Linguistic Avenger. Speeding off speedily at full speed... See more
Plural, I'd say too, but I do see them/it written in singular a lot these days. We might have to call in the Linguistic Avenger on this one, emerging from a telephone box on Streatham High Street in his red and blue suit with "LA" on it, and up, up and away, as little boys and girls point up at the sky and shriek, "What is it, mummy? Is it a bird? Is it a plane?", and mummy sighs in starry-eyed admiration, and says, "No, darling, that's the Linguistic Avenger. Speeding off speedily at full speed like a speeding bullet, seeking out linguistic injustice lurking in foul, unspeakable lairs both near and far, making a stand for proper utterances and written communication, and making this a safer place for utterers and communicators everywhere, yes, even little utterers and communicators like you."

[Edited at 2020-12-07 11:43 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
Chris S
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Holandija
Član (2010)
engleski na italijanski
+ ...
Get out of town! Dec 7, 2020

Chris S wrote:

I feel so inadequate now.

Chris, with your brain, your wit, your sense of humour, and – last but not least – your cat, you've got plenty of reasons to feel more than adequate.

Mervyn Henderson
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Španija
španski na engleski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
Dumbing down Dec 7, 2020

Chris occasionally tries to pull the wool over our eyes with a bit of dumbing-down, but you don't get to work for central banks if you don't know stuff. Plus he's been known to make Level Five, so he must be doing something right in other areas.

[Edited at 2020-12-07 13:11 GMT]

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Nemačka
Član (2007)
holandski na nemački
+ ...
I'm sure... Dec 7, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

We might have to call in the Linguistic Avenger on this one, emerging from a telephone box on Streatham High Street

...that you mean this guy and not any person we know from this forum:

grammarman

Source: https://appadvice.com/app/grammarman/804553385

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

Španija
španski na engleski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
Grammarman Dec 7, 2020

Hahahahahahaaha!

Look at those disproportionately enormous fists, just itching to punch the likes of "he seen her" or "I would of did it" right back into one's mouth.

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Nemačka
Član (2007)
holandski na nemački
+ ...
And not to forget... Dec 7, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Hahahahahahaaha!

Look at those disproportionately enormous fists, just itching to punch the likes of "he seen her" or "I would of did it" right back into one's mouth.

for all the "bowls" and "balls"! Have a nice day!

P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson

Velika Britanija
švedski na engleski
+ ...
More carnalisation Dec 7, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:
Chris, with your brain, your wit, your sense of humour, and – last but not least – your cat, you've got plenty of reasons to feel more than adequate.

That's very kind of you to say, but I meant specifically in terms of literature. I am woefully underread for a linguist. Old shit just bores me, I suppose. What can I say?

And I'm not sure having an abnormally large pussy is always a good thing.

But rest assured I feel more than adequate in other areas. Would you like a charcoal drawing?

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Strana na temi:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatori ovog foruma
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Pretraga termina
  • Poslovi
  • Forumi
  • Multiple search