Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66] >
Off topic: 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing
Thread poster: Renquan Yang
isahuang
isahuang
Local time: 23:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
哪里,哪里 Apr 9, 2008

wherestip wrote:

BTW, Tingting, I forgot to say, your English is very good IMO.

[Edited at 2008-04-09 17:00]

My English is not as good as I would like it to be. I want to be as eloquent as Obama, but without his uh. Have you noticed that he uses a lot of uh, uh, uh uh uh when he talks.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 11:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
Well, it's kind of Chinese Walpurgis Night. Apr 9, 2008

Mincho Young wrote:

So confused
为甚么有些人要把一幕幕丑剧当成他们的光荣。
跳梁小丑。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:31
Chinese to English
+ ...
忌讳 Apr 9, 2008

isahuang wrote:

我觉得忌讳用在这里怪怪的。英文发音是我的一个pet peeve,那些vowel啊,总也发不准。真让我上火。

"忌讳" 大概是 北京话. 比如说 有的人爱 插队 (cut in line where there's a queue), 北京人会说 "真让人忌讳". "上火" 也不错, 不过可能有点过分.

pet peeve 一般是对他人的. 我不爱听口齿不清的歌手唱的歌 就可以说是我的一个 pet peeve.

http://stcity.dragon.cn/ArticleShow.asp?Articleid=5688

十、不要并排走路。走路时,要考虑到其他行人,几个人并排走路是让人忌讳的。在西方,稍微碰了别人的身体也要赔礼道歉,这时,应该说一声:“澳,对不起”(Oh!sorry)或“请原谅(Excuse me.)”。

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=349327287

... 肯定心存妒忌!这种人让人忌讳!可想而之这两个老顽固的狭隘之心,让人失望!

[Edited at 2008-04-09 17:50]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
pet peeves Apr 9, 2008

煩人﹖讓我煩。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Apr 9, 2008

烦 啊 嫌 啊 都行.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Options Apr 9, 2008

Wenjer,

The alleged “clique” is just a perfect example of the "false accusation".

Yes, I did criticize Jianjun openly on the forum last year. However, eventually, I felt that it was not an appropriate and effective way to solve those problems. That’s why I decided to submit a ticket together with Bin Li, in which we provided many crystal facts to support our opinions and we also mentioned the names of other members, not only yours. Based on those facts, we had
... See more
Wenjer,

The alleged “clique” is just a perfect example of the "false accusation".

Yes, I did criticize Jianjun openly on the forum last year. However, eventually, I felt that it was not an appropriate and effective way to solve those problems. That’s why I decided to submit a ticket together with Bin Li, in which we provided many crystal facts to support our opinions and we also mentioned the names of other members, not only yours. Based on those facts, we had the rights and options to make any appropriate suggestions to the management, and it was totally up to their discretion as to what kind of decisions to make. If you insist on doing your own way, it’s your option.

I think I have already said more than enough in response to your comments about Jianjun. It would be unfair to Jianjun if we talk further about him in his absence. It is not necessary to re-open the case unless you want to make a continuation of last year’s "turmoil" or a new one.

Speaking of another moderator Donglai, I think he did the right thing to have expressed his full support to Kevin! Many other members have also expressed their full support to Kevin. Please don’t call them “the clique”!
Donglai Lou wrote:

Second, I believe that Kevin is a great moderator and does nothing wrong.
As a volunteer, Kevin has served our community for more than 7 years and sacrificed a lot of his personal time. He is trying to build a harmonious forum for all of us rather than for his personal interests or “agenda”. He wanted to resign sometime ago. It was us who asked him to stay. Thus, I have the reason to trust him in his ability and decision.

Donglai Lou

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Yueyin,

I did not make any "false accusation." Don't put your words into my mouth, like some others always try to do so. I was stating that "You were one of those who helped in settling the turmoil last year."

Didn't you criticize Jianjun openly in public and announced your submission of support ticket before you really did together with LiBin?

Don't you remember that you criticized the moderator Jianjun in rage when he hid your postings? Was that a good example?

However, your agenda with the submission of support ticket was very different than mine. While I was concerned with the rights a member of this website should have, yours were to get him down. Well, he knew that he couldn't defend himself against the clique, so he resigned with grudges which came to outburst somewhere else.

Actually, the ones who tried to mediate sincerely were Donglai and Shaunna. I appreciate their righteousness. As to your help in settling the issue, I have no comments.

- Wenjer
Collapse

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
说起翻译 Apr 9, 2008

wherestip wrote:

烦 啊 嫌 啊 都行.

我前几天说的那个电影,里面有一幕,男主人公跟警察辣妹吃饭,非要拿美眉的手铐戴上玩儿一玩儿。戴上以后,突然想起来,问警察辣妹,“你带钥匙了没有?“MM看了他一眼,说了句,“废话“ 字幕翻译的是,nonsense. 很多翻译都把废话翻译成nonsense,看着这叫别扭啊。英文语境下,一般我会说,of course, 或者 dumb question 之类的。Steve给个地道点儿的翻译吧。

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What do you think? Apr 9, 2008

isahuang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

烦 啊 嫌 啊 都行.

我前几天说的那个电影,里面有一幕,男主人公跟警察辣妹吃饭,非要拿美眉的手铐戴上玩儿一玩儿。戴上以后,突然想起来,问警察辣妹,“你带钥匙了没有?“MM看了他一眼,说了句,“废话“ 字幕翻译的是,nonsense. 很多翻译都把废话翻译成nonsense,看着这叫别扭啊。英文语境下,一般我会说,of course, 或者 dumb question 之类的。Steve给个地道点儿的翻译吧。

What do you think?

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
討人嫌﹐討厭 Apr 9, 2008

wherestip wrote:

烦 啊 嫌 啊 都行.

也成大概。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
废话 Apr 9, 2008

isahuang wrote:

"Duh!" would be what people typically say these days.

Otherwise, "Isn't it obvious?" or "What a stupid question" would probably be good.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yep Apr 9, 2008

wherestip wrote:

isahuang wrote:

Otherwise, "Isn't it obvious?" or "What a stupid question" would probably be good.

Are you crazy or what. 不過這樣就過頭了﹐要看情節。

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Pet peeve Apr 9, 2008

恼火,烦恼,烦人

特别指经常出现的一些令人恼火、烦恼、让人烦的(小)事情,如邻居家的猫经常爬上我家的窗台。

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
Duh, Apr 9, 2008

wherestip wrote:

isahuang wrote:

that is it.

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
还有一个地方 Apr 9, 2008

wherestip wrote:

isahuang wrote:

电影里还有一个地方,我也觉得翻译的好像不是很贴切,有改进的余地。

男主人公徐郎在晚饭时冷不丁地跟他老婆提出来离婚。女的很震惊,问为什么,徐说不为什么。女的很生气,嚷嚷起来,说,“没理由,哪怕编个理由啊。“字幕翻译是: No reason. Just make up something. 各位大虾会怎么翻呢?我觉得Just make up something不是很贴切。 

No reason, you could make up something.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
NO Reason? A white lie would‘ve made it better Apr 9, 2008

isahuang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

isahuang wrote:

电影里还有一个地方,我也觉得翻译的好像不是很贴切,有改进的余地。

男主人公徐郎在晚饭时冷不丁地跟他老婆提出来离婚。女的很震惊,问为什么,徐说不为什么。女的很生气,嚷嚷起来,说,“没理由,哪怕编个理由啊。“字幕翻译是: No reason. Just make up something. 各位大虾会怎么翻呢?我觉得Just make up something不是很贴切。 

No reason, you could make up something.

我這是瞎說。重在參與﹐值得表揚。

[Edited at 2008-04-09 19:08]

[Edited at 2008-04-09 19:09]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2008 Olympic Games in Beijing

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »