Using a RAM disk to make CAT tools faster
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
12-18% Apr 10, 2020

Samuel, while I don't work with Trados and big TMs, I don't think some 200MB is too big or unusual nowadays. With DDR3+ being more than two times faster than SDD and more than six times faster than HDD, your findings of 12-18% increase (if there's no HDD/SSD caching or swapping) indicate the bottleneck is not the media only, but rather CPU or even a non-optimal algorithm using one core--or limited in a way.

Unfortunately, it's quite common when a client hires students from developin
... See more
Samuel, while I don't work with Trados and big TMs, I don't think some 200MB is too big or unusual nowadays. With DDR3+ being more than two times faster than SDD and more than six times faster than HDD, your findings of 12-18% increase (if there's no HDD/SSD caching or swapping) indicate the bottleneck is not the media only, but rather CPU or even a non-optimal algorithm using one core--or limited in a way.

Unfortunately, it's quite common when a client hires students from developing countries to work under a project very cheap, so they often lazily rewrite optimal code in Java or C# forgetting about many bad things. For example, how about a Cpp programmer who doesn't care that boxed objects and collections are doubled at reaching a certain size, what immediately requires X + 2X -- triple amount of memory? And bruteforce checking instead of using hashes and indexes or other approaches? A cheap victory.

For what it's worth, as a part of the experiment and providing it's feasible, I'd like to see the RAMcahing in such a scenario too.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using a RAM disk to make CAT tools faster

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »