Which CAT tools can be used online from a Chromebook?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:13
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 16, 2019

As a last resort if my local computer would be infected by virus or would be unusable somehow, which CAT tools are there which would be possible to use from a Chromebook?

Price doesn't matter, such as SDL Server would be worth buying to have as this emergency backup solution.

Particularly, which of the big brands (SDL Trados Studio, Deja Vu, MemoQ, Memsource, Wordfast, etc.) in the business would I be able to use from a Chromebook?

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
How about a backup computer? Oct 16, 2019

If price doesn't matter and you are concerned about the availability of your work computer, how about setting up a backup computer with the same operating system and a similar software equipment as your main one?

I see no point in selecting a CAT – your main work tool – based on whether it offers a browser interface, which is likely to be half-baked anyway. I haven't yet seen a browser solution that offers even 70% of a desktop CAT tool's productivity.

[Bearbeitet am 2019
... See more
If price doesn't matter and you are concerned about the availability of your work computer, how about setting up a backup computer with the same operating system and a similar software equipment as your main one?

I see no point in selecting a CAT – your main work tool – based on whether it offers a browser interface, which is likely to be half-baked anyway. I haven't yet seen a browser solution that offers even 70% of a desktop CAT tool's productivity.

[Bearbeitet am 2019-10-16 08:54 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:13
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Why Chromebook? Oct 16, 2019

If you need stable and virus-free operation, why don’t you get a computer with Linux? You will be able to use OmegaT, Wordfast, Cafetran and some other tools.

Jorge Payan

Emma Page
Emma Page
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:13
French to English
+ ...
Memsource Oct 16, 2019

I don't use it, but I've heard good things about it's online/offline integration, and even the free version is quite powerful.

Personally I use Trados, and if I were to have a major computer malfunction I would download it onto an older computer of mine and reactivate my license there. I back up my work somewhat regularly and have access to computers other than my main work computer, so this system is good enough for me...but you're right to think that having a backup plan is a goo
... See more
I don't use it, but I've heard good things about it's online/offline integration, and even the free version is quite powerful.

Personally I use Trados, and if I were to have a major computer malfunction I would download it onto an older computer of mine and reactivate my license there. I back up my work somewhat regularly and have access to computers other than my main work computer, so this system is good enough for me...but you're right to think that having a backup plan is a good idea.

As a side note, In the past I've used a combination of a chromebook and teamviewer remote desktop software to work on Trados while leaving my main computer at home and taking my smaller chromebook out into the world. Not a solution to a breakdown, but potentially helpful if you want to put a software on a more stable, less-expensive desktop and still occasionally be able to work outside your home.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Memsource and SmartCAT Oct 16, 2019

SmartCAT is for free, plus you can add your own TMs and TBs also for free (unlike MS). However, these are just a last resort only because I don't like their functionality. If I had such situation, I would do my best to recover my favorite powerful (even though for a fee) tool.

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
OmegaT needs Java Oct 16, 2019

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
which CAT tools are there which would be possible to use from a Chromebook?

Online: Wordfast Anywhere

Desktop: OmegaT

You can try install Java and then Cross-platform without JRE.

https://platypusplatypus.com/chromebooks/enable-java/

https://www.techjunkie.com/chromebook-install-java/
- - - - - -

https://omegat.org/download

Cross-platform without JRE

OmegaT - multiplatform CAT tool

The free computer aided translation (CAT) tool for professionals

https://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/files/OmegaT%20-%20Latest/OmegaT%205.0.0/OmegaT_5.0.0_Beta_Without_JRE.zip/download
- - - - - - -
I did not tested it.

Milan

Happy Windows 10 user.

[Edited at 2019-10-16 17:45 GMT]

Peter Kovacik
Peter Kovacik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:13
Arabic to English
try running Linux on a Chromebook Oct 17, 2019

esperantisto wrote:

If you need stable and virus-free operation, why don’t you get a computer with Linux? You will be able to use OmegaT, Wordfast, Cafetran and some other tools.

Some Chromebooks can already run Linux apps, and Google has announced that in the near future, all new Chromebooks will be able to run Linux apps. There are many online tutorials about how to run Linux on Chromebooks, and the website Linux for Translators has a lot of good information about translation related software that is available for Linux.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The Chromebook advantage Oct 17, 2019

Endre Both wrote:
How about setting up a backup computer with the same operating system and a similar software equipment as your main one?

Yes, I thought of that too. The Chromebook is cheaper than a spare computer, but not by much.
Chromebook: €200
Small but usable Windows computer: €250-300

One great advantage of Chromebook in an emergency situation is that you can share the computer with other people, without giving them any access to any of your files. Even if your Chromebook gets taken from you (whether by a thief or a police officer), and they break out the hard drive, they still can't get any of your files, because your files are in the cloud, and the only way to access it is if they know your password. (If you start using offline tools on a Chromebook, then that advantage obviously falls away.)

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Working offline Oct 17, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

One great advantage of Chromebook in an emergency situation is that you can share the computer with other people, without giving them any access to any of your files.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/2809731?hl=en

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Advantage, really? Oct 17, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

One great advantage of Chromebook … your files are in the cloud…

Is it so great to break NDAs? Well, situations may differ.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My title should summarize my main point Oct 17, 2019

esperantisto wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
One great advantage of Chromebook … your files are in the cloud…

Is it so great to break NDAs?

Perhaps "cloud" is the wrong word here. "Off premises" is what I meant. You can store files in a cloud-like fashion and still have sufficient control over the data to remain within the limits of the NDA. Obviously this may mean paying more (i.e. not using free uncontrolled storage but using paid data storage services that satisfy the NDA's requirements).

Hans Lenting wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
One great advantage of Chromebook in an emergency situation is that you can share the computer with other people, without giving them any access to any of your files.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/2809731?hl=en

This is like arguing that a laptop isn't a portable computer because it's possible to glue it to the desk. (-: Naturally one may be able to force the computer to store files offline, or an online service may be set up to make use of offline storage, but I assumed that the OP's question relatesto using server based solutions, i.e. non-local storage.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Very funny Oct 17, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

This is like arguing that a laptop isn't a portable computer because it's possible to glue it to the desk. (-: Naturally one may be able to force the computer to store files offline, or an online service may be set up to make use of offline storage, but I assumed that the OP's question relatesto using server based solutions, i.e. non-local storage.

Thanks for the laugh

Gluing a computer to the desk isn't very common, offline storage on Chromebooks, however, is very common–especially when internet connections are limited.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tools can be used online from a Chromebook?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »