Zuzana Kusá
Zuzana Kusá
Slovakia
Local time: 09:00
English to Slovak
+ ...
Mar 13, 2020

Dear colleagues,
I suppose those of you working for Booking.com have noticed a sudden lack of new PEMT projects? Any thoughts?
Thank you for your insights,
Zuzana

Carmen Grabs
Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
The whole travel industry and many more Mar 13, 2020

are probably having massive issues at the moment.
I think people cannot pay their employees right now, let alone the freelancers, so they have to cut back where they can.
Je to hrozne, ale dufajme, ze to zase prejde (this is terrible, but let's hope it will pass)!

Zuzana Kusá
Dan Lucas
Laura Kingdon
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Vaclav Hruza
Vaclav Hruza
Czech Republic
French to Czech
+ ...
Tourism is the first one to get hit Mar 13, 2020

by the Coronavirus.

I know several people working in hotels and some of them told me that their hotel is in fact going to shut down in the following days.

Hotels are of course only the tip of the iceberg, all their vendors, including Booking, marketing agencies, catering, laundry industry etc. will certainly feel the consequences as well.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Tourism Mar 14, 2020

I'm reproducing what I wrote yesterday in a different thread:

Portugal's tourism industry is already feeling the impact of Covid-19, with 60% of hotels in the Algarve region reporting cancellations. In a country with the highest tourism growth rate across the European Union and where one in five jobs are dependent on the travel and tourism sector (this sector contributed 14.6% to gross domestic product in 2018) we know that a decline in tourism will have knock down effects collectiv
... See more
I'm reproducing what I wrote yesterday in a different thread:

Portugal's tourism industry is already feeling the impact of Covid-19, with 60% of hotels in the Algarve region reporting cancellations. In a country with the highest tourism growth rate across the European Union and where one in five jobs are dependent on the travel and tourism sector (this sector contributed 14.6% to gross domestic product in 2018) we know that a decline in tourism will have knock down effects collectively across the whole economy….
Collapse

Carmen Grabs
Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
I am sure nature is confused, too Mar 14, 2020

To be honest, I was really happy about the fact that there is less pollution over areas most affected by the virus. I do hope that we learn from this and realise, that we don't have to fly around the world to go on holidays, and we don't have to get richer, faster, further. This is not to say I minimise what is going on in the clinics and hospitals around the world at the moment.

Vaclav Hruza
Kay Denney
Chiara Gavasso
Oksana Weiss

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 04:00
Member (2011)
English to German
Has your workload increased in the meantime? Jun 1, 2020

Zuzana Kusá wrote:

Dear colleagues,
I suppose those of you working for Booking.com have noticed a sudden lack of new PEMT projects? Any thoughts?
Thank you for your insights,
Zuzana

Hi Zuzana,

I have also worked for Booking.com and noticed the sudden drop in new projects. Has your workload increased in the meantime?

Kind regards,
Marina

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
FWIW Jun 2, 2020

Since the outbreak 3 months ago, I received exactly ZERO tourism related jobs!

[Edited at 2020-06-02 09:27 GMT]

Constance de Crayencour
Zuzana Kusá

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sudden fallout of Booking.com projects

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »