Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Leaving the EU - what does this mean for us?
Thread poster: Maaike van Vlijmen
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:49
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
parliamentary petition calling for a second referendum Jun 25, 2016

Not sure if it will have any effect, but please make sure to sign the parliamentary petition calling for a second referendum. See: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/petition-second-eu-referendum-crashes-house-of-commons-website (1,769,378 people have already... See more
Not sure if it will have any effect, but please make sure to sign the parliamentary petition calling for a second referendum. See: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/petition-second-eu-referendum-crashes-house-of-commons-website (1,769,378 people have already signed!)

The petition is here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

I think that leaving the EU is a bad idea in terms of how it will affect us EU citizens living here in the UK.

Michael

updated to add: 2,048,377 signatures by now!

[Edited at 2016-06-25 17:43 GMT]

updated to add: 2,394,984 signatures by now!

[Edited at 2016-06-25 20:37 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
News Jun 25, 2016

Yes - this petition is gaining momentum and is now a big subject on BBC News. I have signed it -currently 1,788,585 signatures.

[Edited at 2016-06-25 15:47 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What this means... Jun 25, 2016

As a former EU staff member (retired now) I’m also thinking about all the British colleagues working at the EU institutions who will find unemployment soon. Some were seen crying yesterday…

[Edited at 2016-06-25 17:48 GMT]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
A second referendum? Jun 25, 2016

"The people have spoken, the bastards." (Dick Tuck's concession speech following his loss in the 1966 California State Senate election.) How like the EU and its supporters to want a second referendum if the first one produces the "wrong" result. Vote Leave won with a majority of over 1.2 million (which included me). I want to live in a sovereign democracy, not an obscure little offshore county of the United States of Europe, or the Republic of Europa (I doubt if "united states" would satisfy the... See more
"The people have spoken, the bastards." (Dick Tuck's concession speech following his loss in the 1966 California State Senate election.) How like the EU and its supporters to want a second referendum if the first one produces the "wrong" result. Vote Leave won with a majority of over 1.2 million (which included me). I want to live in a sovereign democracy, not an obscure little offshore county of the United States of Europe, or the Republic of Europa (I doubt if "united states" would satisfy them, they want one state) with half its laws and 70% of its regulations made by faceless unelected officials over whom we have no control.
If they do get a second referendum, I shall start a petition against it.

[Edited at 2016-06-25 18:09 GMT]
Collapse

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:49
Italian to English
But to get back to the actual question Jun 25, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

but working it out - along with about a million other problems -is going to be quite a task .

[Edited at 2016-06-25 14:03 GMT]

I think this will bring in tons of work for those who translate legal and beaurocratic documents. Now the UK will have to negotiate 27 contracts for everything related to what was once the EU

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
1-2% shouldn't be enough to win sth this important Jun 25, 2016

Jack Doughty wrote:

"The people have spoken, the bastards." (Dick Tuck's concession speech following his loss in the 1966 California State Senate election.) How like the EU and its supporters to want a second referendum if the first one produces the "wrong" result. Vote Leave won with a majority of over 1.2 million (which included me). I want to live in a sovereign democracy, not an obscure little offshore county of the United States of Europe, or the Republic of Europa (I doubt if "united states" would satisfy them, they want one state) with half its laws and 70% of its regulations made by faceless unelected officials over whom we have no control.

I think that a lot of people who voted Leave didn't fully understand what they were actually voting for (see the complete about-turn of Farage re the NHS money issue), and there are reports of many people who voted Leave having second thoughts (members of my own family included!)). That, and the fact that 1-2% hardly seems enough to justify such a monumental change, seem to justify a second referendum.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Have a look at who funded the ‘Out’ campaign: Jun 25, 2016

Jack Doughty wrote:

-> https://waitingfortax.com/2016/06/22/the-out-campaign-and-the-attitude-to-tax-of-its-funders/ (that pretty much says it all)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Who's out and who's in Jun 25, 2016

Some commenters here are in the UK. Others are not.

For those who are not, everything remains as it was.

For those who are in the UK, everything has changed completely.

It is important to bear that difference in mind, when offering suggestions and advice.

PS just received this message from a friend in Italy:

"Nessuna si aspetterebbe l 'uscita di Gran Bretagna da EU, scherzi a parte, nessuna avrebbe preso sul serio Farage. Aspetto t
... See more
Some commenters here are in the UK. Others are not.

For those who are not, everything remains as it was.

For those who are in the UK, everything has changed completely.

It is important to bear that difference in mind, when offering suggestions and advice.

PS just received this message from a friend in Italy:

"Nessuna si aspetterebbe l 'uscita di Gran Bretagna da EU, scherzi a parte, nessuna avrebbe preso sul serio Farage. Aspetto tue riflessioni in merito. Noi qui incredulo continuiamo a fare analisi delle più disparate,.bisogna vivere in Inghilterra per sentire il polso"

[Edited at 2016-06-25 21:59 GMT]
Collapse

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Not 1-2% Jun 25, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

I think that a lot of people who voted Leave didn't fully understand what they were actually voting for (see the complete about-turn of Farage re the NHS money issue), and there are reports of many people who voted Leave having second thoughts (members of my own family included!)). That, and the fact that 1-2% hardly seems enough to justify such a monumental change, seem to justify a second referendum.

Michael

Michael, if my math is correct, Leave won by almost 4%.

And, would you also be supporting a new referendum if Remain had won by a similarly narrow margin?

(Edited to clarify my question.)

[Edited at 2016-06-25 20:13 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I´m pretty sure that... Jun 25, 2016

Maaike van Vlijmen wrote:
I guess I should just wait and see what's going to happen before worrying too much about the future

...at the end of the day the EU tries to please the UK much enough so that everything on an economical level will remain nearly the same in order not to endanger the mutual economical dependencies after the UK formally has left the EU after two years or so. The UK will just have more freedom to push through the populistic reasons which caused the referendum: No more payments to the EU budget, no work immigrants, no refugees.

[Edited at 2016-06-25 20:25 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 25, 2016

Maciek Drobka wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

Michael

Michael, if my math is correct, Leave won by almost 4%.

And, would you also be supporting a new referendum if Remain had won by a similarly narrow margin?

(Edited to clarify my question.)

[Edited at 2016-06-25 20:13 GMT]

Yes, something this big deserves multiple referendums and extreme caution.

The Leave camp won by playing on people's fear of immigration. However, actually leaving the EU will have so many more effects than only on immigration, that it is simply insane. Depriving the UK of free access to the world's largest single market, because you think leaving the EU will magically solve your immigration problem is lunacy. It won't solve it. The UK will leave the EU, and all the same old problems will still exist. The man on the street will still think the Poles are stealing his job.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
more power to the populists Jun 25, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Maaike van Vlijmen wrote:
I guess I should just wait and see what's going to happen before worrying too much about the future

...at the end of the day the EU tries to please the UK much enough so that everything on an economical level will remain nearly the same in order not to endanger the mutual economical dependencies after the UK formally has left the EU after two years or so. The UK will just have more freedom to push through the populistic reasons which caused the referendum: No more payments to the EU budget, no work immigrants, no refugees.

[Edited at 2016-06-25 20:25 GMT]

Just what the UK needs: more power to the populists

This whole thing is just one big disaster waiting to happen.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
The rules of the game Jun 25, 2016

The rules of the game should be defined before the game starts, not after it's over...

Cameron promised a referendum to get re-elected, but if he really was against the Brexit, he could've simply decided that such a momentous decision deserved a qualified majority, for instance... ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermajority )

At any rate, by the looks of it, I guess this thread is pining for the fjords, like the other one that got squashed this morning...

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
2,469,726 signatures and counting … Jun 25, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

The rules of the game should be defined before the game starts, not after it's over...

Cameron promised a referendum to get re-elected, but if he really was against the Brexit, he could've simply decided that such a momentous decision deserved a qualified majority, for instance... ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermajority )

At any rate, by the looks of it, I guess this thread is pining for the fjords, like the other one that got squashed this morning...

Yes, I agree. This ought to have been defined prior to embarking on this lunacy. However, it wasn't, and I think that it wouldn't be too crazy to do so retroactively in this case. 2,469,726 people have already signed the petition! Surely these people's voice should also count for something?

Leaving may allow Farage et al. to tighten the borders somewhat, but I guarantee you no extra money will end up going to the NHS or those in need, and I doubt it will have a very good effect on business either.

Probably right about the thread though

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Really? Petition beats referendum? Jun 25, 2016

Surely these people's voice should also count for something?

Surely the referendum should count for something, rather than repeated for Remain's sake until it gets the result they want? (Although there are no guarantees that would happen. Already the idea of Brexit is more familiar and therefore likely to be perceived as less of a leap into the dark than it was two days ago.)

The country has expressed its view. The loss of one party is a concomitant of majority voting. One side wins, one side loses. It's time to move on.

And yes, this thread likely gets zapped when the mods notice it, so long answers are probably a waste of time!

Dan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Leaving the EU - what does this mean for us?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »