impossible to clean up a file!!!!
Thread poster: Tamara Fantinato
Tamara Fantinato
Tamara Fantinato
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 13, 2011

Error 50104 : folder doesn't exist, was moved or renamed!!!

I can't clean up a file (it's a ttx file of a docx file)!

I've to deliver a cleaned up file with an extract of the TM (.tmx). How can I solve this problem?

Thanks

tamara

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:46
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Who made the TTX file? Jun 13, 2011

Was it you who made the TTX file from the DOCX file, or did the customer supply the TTX?

If the customer supplied the TTX, did they also supply the DOCX file? You need to have the DOCX file in the same folder as the TTX in order to be able to clean it.

Tamara Fantinato
Tamara Fantinato
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
folders Jun 13, 2011

I created the ttx file, and both files (docx and ttx) are in the same folder!!!!

I really don't understand what's happening!

Jenni Jelse
Jenni Jelse  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Log file? Jun 13, 2011

Check that you haven't moved or deleted the log file. Or create a new one.

If all else fails, you can go through the file to update the TM and then clean it using the macro.

This is a very common problem so you should find lots of info if you do a search in the forums.

Good luck!

Tamara Fantinato
Tamara Fantinato
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
log file Jun 13, 2011

How can I create a log file?

Thanks
tamara

Riku Pepponen
Riku Pepponen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:46
English to Finnish
+ ...
Log file Jun 13, 2011

Just create an empty .log file with Notepad, then from Trados, select
Tools -> Analyze -> Log file -> Browse...
and select the .log file you just created.

I hope this helps!

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:46
Member (2008)
English to French
Might be linked to the .docx Jun 13, 2011

Try this - it'll only take a few minutes -

Open your source document and save as a .doc file (2003 compatible). Open this .doc file in Tag editor. Run your memory against it - should just populate the whole file in one go. Now try to save the Translated file. Once you have the .doc you can open and resave as .docx. Convoluted? Yes. Annoying? Yes. But I've had similar problems with both TWB and Tag Editor when it comes to cleaning up or creating files that involve .docx and this is
... See more
Try this - it'll only take a few minutes -

Open your source document and save as a .doc file (2003 compatible). Open this .doc file in Tag editor. Run your memory against it - should just populate the whole file in one go. Now try to save the Translated file. Once you have the .doc you can open and resave as .docx. Convoluted? Yes. Annoying? Yes. But I've had similar problems with both TWB and Tag Editor when it comes to cleaning up or creating files that involve .docx and this is the only work-around I've found....

Ari

[edited for typo]

[Edited at 2011-06-14 01:04 GMT]
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Completely with Ari Jun 13, 2011

I have come across this problem a number of times now (some clients insist, this is not an existing problem, hmmm), and the only thing that ever worked was to start out converting the docx file to a doc file and vice versa after translating.

If the word file was initially created from an xls file, I have heard that the translation of sheet names (sheets from the original xls file) could cause this problem also, although I have not seen any evidence of this myself.

Hope
... See more
I have come across this problem a number of times now (some clients insist, this is not an existing problem, hmmm), and the only thing that ever worked was to start out converting the docx file to a doc file and vice versa after translating.

If the word file was initially created from an xls file, I have heard that the translation of sheet names (sheets from the original xls file) could cause this problem also, although I have not seen any evidence of this myself.

Hope you resolve this.
Collapse

Tamara Fantinato
Tamara Fantinato
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done! Jun 14, 2011

I've followed your suggestions and I've done it!

The problem was exactly the docx file and the log which was in a folder that I deleted!

Thanks to everybody!!!

Tamara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

impossible to clean up a file!!!!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »