Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
New Plus package benefit: Free download of Henk Sanderson's IATE terminology packages
Thread poster: ..... (X)
..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 21:42
Jun 1, 2017

I am happy to announce a new addition to the ProZ.com Plus package. Starting today, Plus package subscribers can download any of Henk Sanderson's 552 IATE terminology packages (which range in price from €5.50 to €8.50) for free (limit of 2 package downloads per Plus subscription period).

Henk has been selling these glossaries to freelance translators from his SanTrans website sin
... See more
I am happy to announce a new addition to the ProZ.com Plus package. Starting today, Plus package subscribers can download any of Henk Sanderson's 552 IATE terminology packages (which range in price from €5.50 to €8.50) for free (limit of 2 package downloads per Plus subscription period).

Henk has been selling these glossaries to freelance translators from his SanTrans website since 2014 and more recently on the TM-Town Terminology Marketplace since 2015.

Henk's terminology packages provide ease of installation into the major CAT tools such as Trados Studio, memoQ, CafeTran, DVX, and WordFast by virtue of completely formatted, separate TM and TB databases. He has spent a considerable amount of effort to clean up issues and problem areas found in the raw IATE download including the handling of synonyms, context notes, non-UTF-8 characters, separate files for acronyms and more!

How to access your free IATE terminology package downloads

Plus subscribers can download any of the IATE terminology packages (available in 552 language pairs) for free from the TM-Town Terminology Marketplace by signing into TM-Town using the "Sign in with ProZ.com" button.

Plus subscribers will see the following green download button on the terminology package page (in lieu of the blue purchase button):

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 2.31.36 PM

Please note: In order to download any of the terminology packages you will need to accept the following Terms of Use: "This glossary is only offered complimentary to you as a Plus package subscriber for use as an individual translator. The file sets can only be used by you and nobody else. If you are a translation agency or service provider and want to give more translators access to the glossary, you will need to contact Henk Sanderson (the seller) to discuss a fair price scheme."

Here is what your fellow translators had to say when reviewing their purchase of one of Henk Sanderson's IATE glossaries:

Francisco Alanis
5 stars
Worth every penny!

Susana Gómez Cacho
5 stars
¡Estoy encantada con esta compra! En pocos minutos, toda la base de datos de IATE en mi multiterm, en los idiomas con los que trabajo. Un sueño cumplido. Je me réjouis de cet achat ! En quelques minutes, toutes les bases de données IATE dans mon multiterm, dans les langues avec lesquelles je travaille. Un rêve devenu réalité.

Beatrice P.
5 stars
Henk delivered a great product. He went out of his way to help me use the files in my own CAT tool (Fluency), which required that he downloaded Fluency himself and test the tool for the best way to import the translation units and terms. I highly recommend the purchase of these files. Henk offers a real bargain! Thanks again. Bea

janine
5 stars
I downloaded the files earlier this week and imported the main termbase and some of the domain-based ones into both MemoQ and SDL Multiterm. The instructions were clear and the imports worked flawlessly. Many thanks for making the import job so easy. I haven't bothered to import the short 1, 2 and 3 character terms or the abbreviations, nor have I imported the longer strings into a TM yet, but all the data is packaged in a very user-friendly format. I'm looking forward to making use of this terminology in my work.

Roberto C.
5 stars
Great!

Virgilio Domínguez
5 stars
Above expectations!

Andrea
5 stars
Henk was great at staying in contact and responsive.

Nikos Katris
5 stars
Amazing work!

Ola OH
5 stars
Very helpful!!! Thank You!

Agata
5 stars
Amazing job extracting and preparing the package!

Louise
5 stars
I am really pleased with this TM. The file is very clean and it was really easy to install. I like that I have more than one choice for each word depending on context. The instructions that come with the file are clear to read and simple to follow. It took a bit of time to install as there is a lot of information. I made the mistake of not checking the file size, the instruction to do this is in red and very clear.

See the IATE terminology packages on the TM-Town Terminology Marketplace »
Collapse

Ridwan Mahmud
Flávio Miranda
Abdirahman Abukar
Mert Mete

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:42
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
That's great news! Jun 1, 2017

I have been buying Henk's amazing package for a few years now, and wouldn't want to be without it. Highly recommneded!

I currently access it as a background search termbase inside LogiTerm Pro, but have also used it inside CafeTran, Déjà Vu X3, and memoQ in the past.

Michael

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:42
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Question about TM-town integration requirements Jun 1, 2017

Hi,

this sounds interesting. To be able to login with my Proz account I have to give TM-Town permission to:

"View your email address
Manage "what I'm working on now" data on your behalf.
Upload media files on your behalf."

Can you please clarify what these last two items mean in practical terms?

Thanks in advance /Johan

..... (X)
..... (X)
TOPIC STARTER
TM-Town / ProZ.com Integration Jun 1, 2017

Johan Kjallman wrote:

Hi,

this sounds interesting. To be able to login with my Proz account I have to give TM-Town permission to:

"View your email address
Upload media files on your behalf."

Can you please clarify what these last two items mean in practical terms?

Thanks in advance /Johan

Hi Johan,

ProZ.com has a service called What I'm Working On Now wherein translators post about translation projects they are currently working on. These permissions allow you to post to this ProZ.com service from within TM-Town (by means of the ProZ.com API).

This allows you to post a WIWO from TM-Town or view your posted WIWOs from TM-Town.

Upload media files on your behalf.

This allows you to attach an image to a WIWO that you post from TM-Town.

Best regards,
Kevin

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Thanks Jun 1, 2017

Hi Kevin,

thanks for the clarification!

/Johan

Harry Blake Paz Bonzano
Harry Blake Paz Bonzano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Thanks Jun 1, 2017

I did not know about this marketplace. I just extracted myself from IATE glossary and made it for my CAT tool in my language pairs.

Anyway, I did not find the "Sign in with ProZ.com" button when trying to access.

Manuel Trindade

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:42
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
I would not call it free, Jun 1, 2017

if I need to provide third parties with my email address and grant them access to my page. It is really misleading, and I find it unfair. I think as Plus subscribers, we should be entitled to it without any conditions.

Manuel Trindade
Dawn Gable

..... (X)
..... (X)
TOPIC STARTER
"Sign in with ProZ.com" button Jun 1, 2017

Harry Blake Paz Bonzano wrote:

I did not know about this marketplace. I just extracted myself from IATE glossary and made it for my CAT tool in my language pairs.

Anyway, I did not find the "Sign in with ProZ.com" button when trying to access.

Hi Harry,

You can find the "Sign in with ProZ.com" button on this page: https://www.tm-town.com/translators/sign_in

Best regards,
Kevin

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:42
German to English
+ ...
My sentiments exactly! Jun 2, 2017

Vanda Nissen wrote:

if I need to provide third parties with my email address and grant them access to my page. It is really misleading, and I find it unfair. I think as Plus subscribers, we should be entitled to it without any conditions.

I firmly believe that "What I'm Working on Now" is none of someone's business and any preconditions for access to something I have already paid for half a year ago are strange, to put it mildly.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 09:42
SITE STAFF
"What I am working on" is a feature all ProZ.com members already have access to Jun 2, 2017

Hi Vanda and Maija,

I may be misunderstanding the issue here, but the "What I am working on" feature is already available to all ProZ.com members. The permissions you are granting are to allow TM-Town to permit you to post them from TM-Town, which is part of the ProZ.com family now, if you wish (if you do not, nothing happens, of course). "What I am working on" is similarly available in several places outside of the ProZ.com site itself, including Mobile, the translation center, or
... See more
Hi Vanda and Maija,

I may be misunderstanding the issue here, but the "What I am working on" feature is already available to all ProZ.com members. The permissions you are granting are to allow TM-Town to permit you to post them from TM-Town, which is part of the ProZ.com family now, if you wish (if you do not, nothing happens, of course). "What I am working on" is similarly available in several places outside of the ProZ.com site itself, including Mobile, the translation center, or your own website if you use the Plus subscriber widget to show them. These kinds of permissions are fairly standard now when you do something like log in to a site using your Google login, or use a new app on your phone. This only means you are enabling the app or site to perform an action that you choose to perform-- it will not perform that action on its own-- and especially in this case you are not really disclosing any information to a third party, in the sense that TM-Town and ProZ.com are run by the same folks.
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:42
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
How? Jun 2, 2017

Hi Jared,

Thank you for your reply. You have said, ''The permissions you are granting are to allow TM-Town to permit you to post them from TM-Town, which is part of the ProZ.com family now, if you wish (if you do not, nothing happens, of course). "What I am working on". Do I understand you correctly that me and Maija can get the access without disclosing this information? Can we get a direct link? Thank you! As you said, it is run by the same folks so it should be easy just to give
... See more
Hi Jared,

Thank you for your reply. You have said, ''The permissions you are granting are to allow TM-Town to permit you to post them from TM-Town, which is part of the ProZ.com family now, if you wish (if you do not, nothing happens, of course). "What I am working on". Do I understand you correctly that me and Maija can get the access without disclosing this information? Can we get a direct link? Thank you! As you said, it is run by the same folks so it should be easy just to give us this access.
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 07:42
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Direct link for download, please Jun 3, 2017

As Vanda and Maija, I am not at all interested in granting permission to anybody to see what I am working on. As a Plus subscriber, I expect to receive a non-conditioned download link.

[Edited at 2017-06-03 05:04 GMT]

BEVERLY OATES HREHOROW

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:42
SITE FOUNDER
This is a TM-Town feature. Privacy policies protect you. Jun 3, 2017

Hi folks,

We are very happy to be able to deliver this new (unplanned / unadvertised / bonus) benefit to Plus subscribers. Henk's glossaries have consistently gotten rave reviews, and many people buy them at their advertised price and comment on how valuable they are.

Regarding the request for a direct link, I'm sorry, but fundamentally, this is a TM-Town feature (and TM-Town held data) that is being made available to ProZ.com Plus subscribers, so by its very nature it
... See more
Hi folks,

We are very happy to be able to deliver this new (unplanned / unadvertised / bonus) benefit to Plus subscribers. Henk's glossaries have consistently gotten rave reviews, and many people buy them at their advertised price and comment on how valuable they are.

Regarding the request for a direct link, I'm sorry, but fundamentally, this is a TM-Town feature (and TM-Town held data) that is being made available to ProZ.com Plus subscribers, so by its very nature it requires log in to TM-Town. If you are philosophically opposed to logging into TM-Town, which is owned by ProZ.com, unfortunately this feature will not be available to you.

That said, there is really no privacy issue here. Both ProZ.com and TM-Town have serious data protection policies that meet or exceed the requirements of the EU, the US, and every other jurisdiction we operate in. Nothing bad will happen when you log into TM-Town and authorize the applications to talk to each other. As Jared said, this is just how apps and privacy protection work today; you log in, authorize the app with the permissions it needs, and everything is transparent.

Henry
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:42
German to English
+ ...
In short Jun 3, 2017

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Hi folks,

Regarding the request for a direct link, I'm sorry, but fundamentally, this is a TM-Town feature (and TM-Town held data) that is being made available to ProZ.com Plus subscribers, so by its very nature it requires log in to TM-Town. If you are philosophically opposed to logging into TM-Town, which is owned by ProZ.com, unfortunately this feature will not be available to you.

That said, there is really no privacy issue here. Both ProZ.com and TM-Town have serious data protection policies that meet or exceed the requirements of the EU, the US, and every other jurisdiction we operate in. Nothing bad will happen when you log into TM-Town and authorize the applications to talk to each other. As Jared said, this is just how apps and privacy protection work today; you log in, authorize the app with the permissions it needs, and everything is transparent.

Henry

you are beating a dead horse. TM town seems to be a failure and you are trying to revive it by an imaginary increase in number of users. Nothing personal, just naked truth.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:42
SITE FOUNDER
Just a gift Jun 3, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:
you are beating a dead horse. TM town seems to be a failure and you are trying to revive it by an imaginary increase in number of users. Nothing personal, just naked truth.

ProZ.com gains nothing by your logging into TM-Town (obviously). The story here is simple: Henk's glossaries are popular, so we negotiated a deal to benefit Plus subscribers.

More like "gift horse" than dead horse...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Plus package benefit: Free download of Henk Sanderson's IATE terminology packages

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »