Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
New Plus package benefit: Free download of Henk Sanderson's IATE terminology packages
Thread poster: ..... (X)
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:55
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
"Usable" is in the eye of the beholder ;-) Jun 4, 2017

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Kevin Dias wrote:

The package includes different extractions specifically formatted for each of the major CAT tools such as Trados Studio, memoQ, CafeTran, DVX, and WordFast.

The author of these files has spent a considerable amount of effort to clean up issues and problem areas found in the raw IATE download including:

I had no problem downloading and converting the Italian IATE database into a usable termbase for Studio... I'm not an expert either. Took me about half an hour...

I have discussed his workflows in some detail with Henk, and, believe me, his version is substantially better than anything you or I will be able to produce, with just the IATE's Java tool and a bit of fiddling. But the only way to know for sure is to compare the two versions.

Michael

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:55
English to Italian
Refinement Jun 4, 2017

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Kevin Dias wrote:

The package includes different extractions specifically formatted for each of the major CAT tools such as Trados Studio, memoQ, CafeTran, DVX, and WordFast.

The author of these files has spent a considerable amount of effort to clean up issues and problem areas found in the raw IATE download including:

I had no problem downloading and converting the Italian IATE database into a usable termbase for Studio... I'm not an expert either. Took me about half an hour...

I did that too. No problems either. IMO, it's more of a matter of how refined you want your glossary. For general consultation, I think you can just do the extraction+import yourself, but if you want the data "cleaned", categorized, etc. (for whatever reason), then these paid ones are probably better (I'm saying "probably" because I haven't checked them out). In other words, their 'value' is not absolute, but totally based on your needs and the way you're going to use them.

Guilherme Silva
Guilherme Silva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:55
Member (2016)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Can´t download for free Jun 5, 2017

I am logged in with the proz.com sign in button but i don´t see the download for free button, only the one to buy and asks for my credit card.

Hansi Rojas

Alex Liu
Alex Liu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 03:55
Member (2016)
English to Chinese
+ ...
This is a good news, but I found there is no useful English->Chinese Glossaries. Jun 5, 2017

Is there any new updates for my language pair EN-ZH coming soon?

Henk Sanderson
Henk Sanderson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
This is for EU language pairs only Jun 5, 2017

Alex Liu wrote:

Is there any new updates for my language pair EN-ZH coming soon?

Hi Liu,

as soon as China enters the EU...
Best regards,
Henk

[Edited at 2017-06-05 10:38 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:55
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well, yes... Jun 5, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I did that too. No problems either. IMO, it's more of a matter of how refined you want your glossary. For general consultation, I think you can just do the extraction+import yourself, but if you want the data "cleaned", categorized, etc. (for whatever reason), then these paid ones are probably better (I'm saying "probably" because I haven't checked them out). In other words, their 'value' is not absolute, but totally based on your needs and the way you're going to use them.

I'm not dissing Henk's version... but the one I did myself works very well...

Pavitra Baxi
Pavitra Baxi  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:25
Member (2008)
German to English
Unable to download Jun 5, 2017

Hi,

The green download button doesn't show up.

Regards,
Pavitra

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 04:55
TOPIC STARTER
Pavitra & Guilherme Jun 5, 2017

Hi Pavitra & Guilherme,

I fixed the issue with your accounts. Could you please try the download again.

Thanks!
Kevin

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Wow! Jun 5, 2017

What a nice initiative:

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 17.31.52

I just downloaded the German > Dutch version to get an update (I was one of the first clients for the package).

BTW: For the Plus package, I suggested a five-language high-quality online dictionary (EN-FR-ES-NL-IT) to Henry, some months ago. Hope that these negotiations will be successful too, so that this useful dictionary can be integrated in Proz's favourite CAT tool, CafeTran, soon.

Peter Simon
Peter Simon  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Waiting ... Jun 5, 2017

Apparently these wonderful packages are not suitable for Trados 2017. Is any update in the pipelines? Would love to get the package for my pairs but I've updated my 2011, unfortunately, it seems. Looking forward to any news.

Pavitra Baxi
Pavitra Baxi  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:25
Member (2008)
German to English
Download successful Jun 6, 2017

Kevin Dias wrote:

Hi Pavitra & Guilherme,

I fixed the issue with your accounts. Could you please try the download again.

Thanks!
Kevin

Done downloading!

Thanks.

Henk Sanderson
Henk Sanderson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Yes, they are suitable for Trados Studio 2017 and they are updated Jun 6, 2017

Peter Simon wrote:

Apparently these wonderful packages are not suitable for Trados 2017. Is any update in the pipelines? Would love to get the package for my pairs but I've updated my 2011, unfortunately, it seems. Looking forward to any news.

Hi Peter,

- The packages are suitable for Trados 2017 and have been always, as SDL did not change anything in the structure of their databases as far as import of data is concerned. Unfortunately Kevin has used old material in his promotion. See the TM-Town Terminology Marketplace or my website, Santrans.net, for details.

- The packages have been updated, they are based on the TBX from IATE of March 2017. Besides, there are some small changes in the content: localized domain names and restructured domains.

Best regards,
Henk Sanderson

Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 21:55
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
I can't see the green button Jun 6, 2017

I can't see the green button when I log. It asks for my credit card details when I click on it. Should I do anything to "activate" the free feature?

Thank you for all your efforts!

Alain

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 04:55
TOPIC STARTER
'Sign in with ProZ.com' log in option Jun 6, 2017

Alain Alameddine wrote:

I can't see the green button when I log. It asks for my credit card details when I click on it. Should I do anything to "activate" the free feature?

Thank you for all your efforts!

Alain

Hi Alain,

It appears that your ProZ.com account is not connected to your TM-Town account. Be sure to choose the 'Sign in with ProZ.com' log in option (https://www.tm-town.com/translators/sign_in) so that TM-Town can verify your Plus subscription status.

Please email me if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Kevin

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Question Jun 6, 2017

Apologies in advance for what is probably a dumb question, but as far as I can tell (having downloaded a couple of these packages), they are all but useless for dinosaurs such as myself who do not use any CAT tool.

Please confirm or correct this assumption.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Plus package benefit: Free download of Henk Sanderson's IATE terminology packages

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »