Off topic: Has anyone ever tried Fiverr?
Thread poster: Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:56
Chinese to English
Oct 7, 2015

Hello,

Everyone probably already knows about Fiverr and the service they offer, however has anyone ever actually paid up to see what level of translation can actually be obtained for $5?

I know that logo design services hav
... See more
Hello,

Everyone probably already knows about Fiverr and the service they offer, however has anyone ever actually paid up to see what level of translation can actually be obtained for $5?

I know that logo design services have been reviewed before (see here: https://medium.com/@sachagreif/in-the-past-couple-years-startups-have-started-realizing-that-good-design-can-make-the-difference-2fdeb90d390a)

Has anyone tried it for translation services? A quick search of the forum didn't yield anything.

I might give it a go for Chinese into English.
Collapse

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:56
French to Spanish
+ ...
Price Oct 7, 2015

Well, dear Mark, prices say it all!

I bet Google Translate + edition (if any!).

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:56
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
$5 is for 5 word maybe Oct 7, 2015

I reviewed the profiles of several website builders on that website. For $5, they can just install WordPress for you. For One, you can install it by yourself; For two, if you don't know anything about website building why do you need to have it installed? Or what will be the use of it if you are not proficient enough to use it?

They are not honest professionals. They tend to allure you into paying big chunks of money later on.

These people are either idiots themselves
... See more
I reviewed the profiles of several website builders on that website. For $5, they can just install WordPress for you. For One, you can install it by yourself; For two, if you don't know anything about website building why do you need to have it installed? Or what will be the use of it if you are not proficient enough to use it?

They are not honest professionals. They tend to allure you into paying big chunks of money later on.

These people are either idiots themselves or they think people are idiots.

[Edited at 2015-10-07 09:39 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:56
French to English
+ ...
Might be interesting Oct 7, 2015

For $5, it might be interesting to see what kind of quality you get, as you say. If it's rubbish, then at least we can warn our clients even more about the dangers of cheap translations! And if it's brilliant, well...more fool the person offering it for $5, I guess.

Let us know if you do it!

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
Not exactly 5 Oct 7, 2015

I did check it once, and if I'm not very wrong Fiverr is just a name, that is, people were charging many different rates.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:56
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
They do play tricks with their name Oct 7, 2015

Alvaro Espantaleon wrote:

I did check it once, and if I'm not very wrong Fiverr is just a name, that is, people were charging many different rates.

and most members do list their $5 services on the site.

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
You are right Oct 7, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

Alvaro Espantaleon wrote:

and most members do list their $5 services on the site.

Indeed. I was wrong. I have been visiting the site again. Shocking experience: $5 for 500 words. And those were the most expensive ones (EN into ES).

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
my little $5 experiment Oct 7, 2015

I read about it here on proz a few months ago and was curious to see what the results would be, so I chose ten of the most experienced/top rated "translators" in one language pair and contacted them about a fairly simple half-page translation.

The results? Most did not respond. Some responded two days later. One actually delivered the translation but did not follow the instructions and the translation contained major errors. I followed up but the person never answered.

... See more
I read about it here on proz a few months ago and was curious to see what the results would be, so I chose ten of the most experienced/top rated "translators" in one language pair and contacted them about a fairly simple half-page translation.

The results? Most did not respond. Some responded two days later. One actually delivered the translation but did not follow the instructions and the translation contained major errors. I followed up but the person never answered.

I guess this is more or less what I expected, except I thought that most of them would respond right away (and deliver garbage).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone ever tried Fiverr?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »